Moving fish from leaking pond, moving,advice,tips?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just joined here as hoping to get some advice on my situation from more experienced people.
Without going into to much detail I have been left with somebodies pond fish, a mixture of koi carp, goldfish and some unknown. They are ranging in ages of 25+ years to very young fish no bigger than the length of my small finger. For the past 12years or so they have lived in a medium sized pond that had a filter fitted over time it was made into a natural pond and the filter was taken away but pond lining was lining the bottom and not water tight without this. I had nothing to do with this so unsure of the exact details. In my opinion the pond needs fully draining, relining etc as has had a slow leak that I was unaware of until coming into their care. I am to be moving soon and would like to take the fish with me and build them a new natural pond with clay bottom etc but this could take a year. What I am wanting to know is if the fish will be okay being moved to a very small pond container compared to their pond now, like paddling pool size or a barrel? I have a net to catch them with etc but once they are in the plastic pond or barrel I am abit stumped as to what to do for them. They have been very self suffient and have no obvious disease have been happy breeding for the past few years and have lived off the food in the pond being given very little food or non from the previous owners. I assume I will need to start feeding them if I do this as will be very little food in the habitat, but how often?
Do you think it is cruel to move them someplace smaller for a couple of months, then travel them 9 hours away to stay in a small place until a new pond is built. Would it be better to try and rehome them?
I am unsure how much stress fish can take as not experienced with them.
Another question I would like to ask is where can I get containers from to move these fish across the country, where i am moving to is 9-11 hours away, what is the best way to move fish? I read in plastic bags and then inside of stereofoam? would i need to stop to let more air into the bag half way or something?
Thankyou

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome
WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

here is one thread on moving fish.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/moving-house-moving-fish-t6439.html
Do a search there are probably more, I have seen others ask how to do it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeballoon3.gif
Skyelar
You have a lot of work to do and I can't help you on how to move your fish all that way but somebody here will let ya know soon :lol:

Ask a Question