Moving fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, need a bit of advice here. We’re moving house shortly & I’d like to take some of my fish, there’s a pond there already,needs setting up but I could do that before the move. The main concern is the distance,on a good run it will be 3hrs 45, possibly 4hrs + if something goes wrong....what’s the chances of my fish surviving?.....I have 4 koi I’d like to take, between 6lb & 9lb & a few small mirrors,maybe a 1lb & a half......any advice would be much appreciated......

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The best way to move large koi is in large ice chests. For the time issue i would get battery operated aerators. set the coolers so the fish are facing to the sides, not front to back.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for the reply,by ice chests do you mean polystyrene ones? Also do you think the aerators would keep them alive for that time scale, I’ve only used them for small fish before

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi,
if they were my fish, I would put them in bags, drive to a store where they sell fish and have them bags them properly, fill the bag with oxygen ( as they do to prep for shipping) then I would put the bags in boxes with ice packs between the box and the bag...that's what I would do

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Gemma, thanks for the reply....unfortunately the nearest decent fish place is a way away & if I start my journey at 10am ish it will put an hour on the journey.....I thought I might put the generator in the back of the truck & run the big air pump with decent stones on it, might have to stop to fill with petrol but thought that might be the safest way, any thoughts anyone?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yes, if you have the generator use it! I would use the regular plastic coolers rather than foam. Also, do not feed the fish for several days prior to moving them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good luck to you and your fish!...and if you can, come back to post how it all turned out, your feedback would be of much help to others that have to move their fish

Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks & I will, hopefully it will turn out ok, I’m also wondering whether to sedate them to try & keep the stress levels down....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@dvdndh I like the generator idea. Hoping for a smooth move :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You can still fill the bags with O2 from a portable O2 tank. Bagging them is safest as opposed to putting them in a cooler, as the bags act as "shock absorbers ".

Best of luck and let us know how you make out :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In a cooler I would also pad the walls with bubble wrap

Good luck with your move!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
this video is pretty useful
by the way one of the big risks with moving koi is damaging their skin or fins while netting them.
Good luck. It can be done and is regularly done in Japan around their massive Koi sales.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes,good video,I’m feeling slightly happier about moving them now, still-nervous but not quite so much:barefoot:....I’m going to drop the water a bit when I net them & I have carp sacks to put them in to lift them out of the water.......
Thx Addy, I’ll definitely post feedback after the move, may not be for a couple of months or so though...

Ask a Question