Moving house, Moving fish!?!?

Reaction score
When I bought this house I inherited the fish and outdoor pond. I am now due to move again and want to take the fish with me - one large Koi and lots of others. The new house doesn't have a pond for immediate transfer. Any ideas or experiences you can share would be gratefully received. Thank you

Reaction score
I thought about transferring them into a small tub on the back of a lorry and then moving them again into a large tub at other end and adding a filter as suggested - do you think they will survive the stress of that? thanks

Reaction score
They should be fine. Keep them in as much of their own water along the way as you can until they've reached their final destination, then just top up with tap water and dechlorinator. Is it a long trip? A battery operated air bubbler in the tub while moving would help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I really don't think that a large koi will due well in a tub while you build a pond.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
DoDad said:
I really don't think that a large koi will due well in a tub while you build a pond.
gotta agree.bigger fish seem to have a adaptable problems when transfered,and I doubt a tub will do.maybe a kids pool,but not tubs. imo

Reaction score
And a good net to cover it with. Koi can be uncomfortable in a new, smaller area and jump out. And if it is mroe shallow, it will open it up to more predators also.

Reaction score
I had recently just moved and had to transport my fish about 5 miles away. I transported all of my fish in a 30 gallon rubbermaid cont. w/ the original pond water. Of course cover the container....Then they were put in a 100 gallon stock tank in good water. The stock tank will turn into the bio filter for the new 2500 gal pond. Now for the bad news. Not realizing that fish will act different in new enviroments I failed to forsee this and 2 of the 10 fish I had jumped out. I should've covered the tank too. I nursed one back, the other is in fish heaven. I had a larger koi in th group, maybe 4 pounds that was transported w/ the others. He developed a bacterial infection w/ in a week in the new pond. He/she also is fish heaven. I read from this forum larger fish are more prone to disease from stress. I should've put that fish in a larger container alone. Other fish were showing signs of infection so I immediately shocked the pond with an anti bacterial med. from Tetra (Not sure of the name) but it is also used for new introductions into new ponds. It works well no other losses so far. The pond is on its 5th week. Plants, frogs and fish are now thriving. Good luck on your transport.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
blly8325 said:
I had recently just moved and had to transport my fish about 5 miles away. I transported all of my fish in a 30 gallon rubbermaid cont. w/ the original pond water. Of course cover the container....Then they were put in a 100 gallon stock tank in good water. The stock tank will turn into the bio filter for the new 2500 gal pond. Now for the bad news. Not realizing that fish will act different in new enviroments I failed to forsee this and 2 of the 10 fish I had jumped out. I should've covered the tank too. I nursed one back, the other is in fish heaven. I had a larger koi in th group, maybe 4 pounds that was transported w/ the others. He developed a bacterial infection w/ in a week in the new pond. He/she also is fish heaven. I read from this forum larger fish are more prone to disease from stress. I should've put that fish in a larger container alone. Other fish were showing signs of infection so I immediately shocked the pond with an anti bacterial med. from Tetra (Not sure of the name) but it is also used for new introductions into new ponds. It works well no other losses so far. The pond is on its 5th week. Plants, frogs and fish are now thriving. Good luck on your transport.

Finally I meet another person whom had there fish jump out of the water.I tried to explain montha ago to a member that if a fish doesn't like the water conditions,they will try to jump out

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Nicola said:
When I bought this house I inherited the fish and outdoor pond. I am now due to move again and want to take the fish with me - one large Koi and lots of others. The new house doesn't have a pond for immediate transfer. Any ideas or experiences you can share would be gratefully received. Thank you

INTEX pools are a good temporary pond. and are sizable enough to keep your fish in for an extended period. they are cheap and fish safe. and probably on clearence now at any KMART, MEIJERS, WALMART etc... an 10' round 30 inch deep pool is about $100.00 and is fish safe ... i kept fish in one for a while. check on craigslist you can get a used one real cheap, i see them often.
p.s they come smaller too, 8' round 30" deep

Reaction score
digginponds said:
Finally I meet another person whom had there fish jump out of the water.I tried to explain montha ago to a member that if a fish doesn't like the water conditions,they will try to jump out

Yes they do jump out, I can vouch for that. Either the quality of the water or when the males start chasing a lone female they will try to jump. I don't think they actually want to jump out ad suffocate themselves LOL but they are most likely trying to get away from the threat.

Reaction score
digginponds said:

That my have been me. They have since settled down in there new home and everyone is fine

jezabell79

New but not...
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I thought about transferring them into a small tub on the back of a lorry and then moving them again into a large tub at other end and adding a filter as suggested - do you think they will survive the stress of that? thanks
yes, they should be fine, i've had to move mine twice in 3 months, and about to move them again into outdoor pond.

Ask a Question