Moving koi to new pond in November

Reaction score
Looks like the end of November we should have our rebuilt pond ready. We went from 800 gal. to 4500. We live in NC where our average temperature high in November is 60, low 40. Would it harm the Koi to move them at these temperatures? Should you move Koi in colder months? Thanks for any advise.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I would think it is better in the spring.
But if both water temps in the ponds are the same or as close as posiable as not to shock them they will be fine.

Ruben M.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can't really see no harm but hope the water has been filtered good and is not city water .I live near the NC border and back in 2010 my pump pushed all my water just about out of the pond and on the coldest night with snow coming down I had a foot of water and was sure my fish would die and I put new water in with no problems and feel really lucky too .I had to filter the water like crazy too as the water coming out looked like chocolate milk because the hose had been turned off for winter .I just filled the buckets with lava rock under and on top of the pump to clean it .# days later water was clear .It was 60 during the day and one of the fish knocked the pump sideways and water formed an ice tunnel right out of the pond.The temp .had dropped and it started to snow with in a few hours . .After that I did not take chances with the pumps and used coated wire to tie them inside a bucket filled with lava rock and bought a pond heater .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Is your pond going to be cycled and is it well water or if city water don't forget the Chlorine/Chloromine remover.

Ask a Question