Moving Lotus

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a one acre pond in front of his house on his plantation in coastal eastern NC. He has many Lotus and is willing to share. They are not potted, but free floating. They are winter hardy in this area and have been there for many years.

I would like to have 2 or 3 for my new 10' X 15' yard pond. How should I go about harvesting them and how should I treat them in my new pond. I prefer floating baskets but maybe I need to pot them.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

medxam

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like his is a wild pond, ie natural, in a built pond you most likely would want to pot your lotus. I have read they are heavy feeders, I didn't know that lotus could be free floating.

Harvesting, just go and pull them out, try to grab by the root ball not the plant itself.

You may want to put them in a large container with water to see what might be living on them, snails, worms, etc. Quarantine the plants. I don't recall if you have koi, if you do you want to make sure the plants don't have anything on them that will harm your fish.

Ask a Question