Moving our pond?

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am a complete newbie and I wondered if you experienced guys can help me?
I would like to move our fishpond to another part of the garden, it is currently constructed from a liner and I wondered is it feasible to move a pond like this?
Any help would be very appreciated!
Thank you in anticipation.
Cilla

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
THERE IS ALOT OF QUESTIONS TO THIS ANSWER... can you post a picture? does the pond have a stone border, if so is it mortared in? is there a bottom drain and skimmer? do you have someplace to keep fish while you do the work? do you plan on using the same liner and all equipment? in theory its a simple job just dig a similiar size hole.. slightly smaller would be safer. fill the old hole from the new one. but the above questions need answering... for instance if you have mortared rocks around the pond ontop of the liner you may have to cut trhe liner on the pond inside of them potentally making your liner quite smaller...trying to realine a skimmer or bottom drain in new holes and the necessary under ground plumbing...a real chore there. etc....etc ...etc... there are just to many factors you didnt specify....but a new liner would solve most potential problems.

Reaction score
why not dig the next pond bigger and buy a new liner fill the new pond with water. Then move your filter with bio media alive and well to the new pond. move your fish to the new pond (Bio filter is already full populated with bacteria from the old pond).

Then take your time moving rocks etc.. fill in the old hole and use old liner for a water fall.

I moved a 75 gallon tank to a 220G tank without cyclying since I moved the filter from the old tank.

Should work fine for a pond assuming the bio load is the same in the new pond.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
like newday said make the new pond larger but pump your water from this pond into the new one and put your fish in,setup your filter. and then slowly finish filling from the tap. you can then move your fish without having to acclimate them or worry about water parameters varying. this meens less stress on the fish and no strain on the filters bacterial colony either...i pump my water between ponds 2 times a year(inside for winter months,and outside the rest of year) and move filter medias between filters at those times.

Ask a Question