Moving water lilies to deeper water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
My two water lilies are on a ledge, 18” deep and are potted in kitty litter. There are three pads each floating on the surface. I would like to move them to deeper water. Will the current pads grow up to the surface? Any problem with moving them into the center of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You just want to make sure you aren't putting them deeper than they will grow - but that's nearly impossible in a garden pond as most lilies will happily live 3 - 5 feet under the surface.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Dropped them down another foot. I think they will like it there. The fish were just starting to adjust to new home and I just had to move everything around. Moved the two of the three caves they use and changed some plumbing to get more water to upper pond. Figured if I was going to mess with them might as well do it all at once and get it over with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Someone noted that my water might go green since I added the fish...they were right. Water went green of course but seems to be getting better. The fish seem to like it as they are no longer swimming just above the bottom but are cruising at all levels except on the surface. Have not seen them hitting the bugs on the surface yet, but then they are not bass!

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The water is cycling. A bit of fish waste gets it going.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Someone noted that my water might go green since I added the fish...they were right.

That was me! So many people freak out when the formerly clear pond is suddenly green overnight. But that's just nature, doing what nature does! And the reverse often happens just as quickly - boom! and the pond is clear again.

Ask a Question