Moving

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,

I have a old cast bath tub that I converted to a fish pond, roughly 45-55 gallons. In the next month or so my family will be moving to a new home. I am planning on taking my fish (4 goldfish, 4-6 inches) but not the tub. I plan on building a larger in ground set up towards the spring. In the meantime, what will be the best way to keep the fish happy and healthy until I can get their new home ready?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Best is to not over feed and use the water from the pond to keep them in and do not feed before you transport them for at least a week or more .Plus a good home made filter and aeration

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Where are you moving to? Will these fish require indoor housing or can they remain outdoors until the new pond is built?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in Georgia, just moving 30 miles away. I would prefer to continue to keep them outside.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Next question how many fish .You can get a stock tank to house them as I know you should not get any freeze ..Save the water .I know when I transport fish I used a stock tank with an aerator plugged into my trucks outlet and used a window screen clamped down to the top .I only filled the tank halfway .But have heard people transporting them in bags also as longs as air was pumped into the bag .I had to drive slow all hills and rough rural roads here

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My drive should have been 15 minutes but going slow took me half hour and then really slow up my steep driveway.That part scared me .Fish made it with no problems . I even used a fish a 10 dollar fish tank I got from goodwill one time .I am now going to over winter my hyacinth in the tank .

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Transport them in 5 gallon buckets, with lids and aerator to be safe. Battery powered aerators are pretty cheap if you don't have an outlet in your truck. I have moved saltwater fish 3 hours away this way with no issues.

Then as sissy said buy a stock tank to house them in until next spring when you dig the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Buckets, perfect. Yes, I have a power inverter for my truck and I have small aquarium pump that will work well.

What about a 100 gallon galvanized stock tank? Those are cheap (kInda $100) and I could use it as a planter after.
Would the galvanization pose a threat? Should I go with plastic?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
galvinized is not good for fish .it is pretty but will kill the fish

sissy

sissy
Reaction score