Muck removal without killing tadpoles, dragonfly larvae, etc

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two small frog ponds in a partly shaded area. I've got a few resident green frogs and a bunch of baby frogs each year, and I seem to have a constant population of tadpoles including some that overwinter. Between the frogs and the leaves that fall into the ponds, I have four or five inches of muck built up in the bottom. The tadpoles love to hide in it, and every time I try to scoop out the muck I end up with tadpoles that I don't want to kill. I want to use a pond vacuum to clean out the muck but don't want to mangle or kill the tadpoles and other pond life. Are there any pond vacuums that are safe for the critters in the muck? If not, can anyone recommend a safe way to de-muck? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Not sure what your climate is, but I'd wait till Spring - Summer to tackle such a task here. I don't know of anyway to vacuum without sucking up the tadpoles. I use a fine pool net and scoop the bottom of the pond. I then lay the net on my garden bench and go through it, plucking out the tadpoles and placing them back in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not sure what your climate is, but I'd wait till Spring - Summer to tackle such a task here. I don't know of anyway to vacuum without sucking up the tadpoles. I use a fine pool net and scoop the bottom of the pond. I then lay the net on my garden bench and go through it, plucking out the tadpoles and placing them back in the pond.
Oh the lengths we will go to, in order to save our little pond beasties.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1638925105757.gif
and welcome @Frog Lady
That's about all you can do as stated above. Dip and sort and toss back in.

1638925171954.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Definitely wait until spring. I assume you plan to drain your pond because I don't know how else you can see what you're doing. The tadpoles (and any fish) will accumulate in the center of the pond as the water volume lowers. Then it's just a matter of going "hunting." Plan to put on your best mud boots and get in there with long gloves and a bucket. They're not hard to find because they will squirm around in the muck. Once you're sure you've got all the little buggers, use a heavy duty submersible pump to get the muck out. The frogs will jump out of the way once you're close to them. I wuv my tadpoles, too! :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Definitely wait until spring. I assume you plan to drain your pond because I don't know how else you can see what you're doing. The tadpoles (and any fish) will accumulate in the center of the pond as the water volume lowers. Then it's just a matter of going "hunting." Plan to put on your best mud boots and get in there with long gloves and a bucket. They're not hard to find because they will squirm around in the muck. Once you're sure you've got all the little buggers, use a heavy duty submersible pump to get the muck out. The frogs will jump out of the way once you're close to them. I wuv my tadpoles, too! :love:
Dayum, Corgi Mom; ya didn't INSIST someone's there to take PICS PICS and MORE PICS!!! You just know we're all here to watchhelp the OP!

Last edited by a moderator:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I, when I did net the bottom, would dump the net full over a bucket with a screen on it. The real fine muck and water would run through, they I would sit there and pull out the snails, dragon fly larvae etc.

Quit netting the bottom years ago, did not get enough stuff to make it worth while.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I, when I did net the bottom, would dump the net full over a bucket with a screen on it. The real fine muck and water would run through, they I would sit there and pull out the snails, dragon fly larvae etc.

Quit netting the bottom years ago, did not get enough stuff to make it worth while.
that's a pretty good method; no wonder you're the Boss! Didcha find and gold dubloons or silver eagle pieces when ya were still doing this? Is that how you funded the GPF Yacht? I betcha it was...and here I was feeling warm and fuzzy thinkin' Ian had finally let the purse strings loose and MAYBE that new coffee pot requisition might have a chance...sigh...ah, Boss? Any chance of getting you BACK in them wader with your lil net and screen to go lookin' for more treasure? ;);):cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any chance of getting you BACK in them wader with your lil net and screen to go lookin' for more treasure?
The only time I go into the pond, dead of summer warm water, in undies and a tshirt................ I have brand new waders have yet to use them. And lil bare feet only feel the snails as I shuffle so I don't squish the shells, which btw the fish LOVE! free food

Ask a Question