Mud Ponds

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
Hello people! I have read somewhere that koi would fare a lot better on a a mud pond than an "artificial pond" because the former would closely replicate the koi's natural environment. I dont know what the writer meant about "artificial pond" but I would surmise that he meant a pond which is designed to cater to the pondowner's wants and what such a pondowner thinks his fish needs. Anyway, I would like to see what you fellows think about koi being reared in a mud pond. :grumble:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you can find the right clay, it might be ok. The problem I see is, mud is not transparent and most folks want to see their fish.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
tetra pond makes 'koivital', it reproduces the mineral,vitamin,and other componants of a kois natural enviroment, even helps induce spawning, i use it indoors and out,both ponds.

Reaction score
We will see. I'm currently experimenting with this right now. Give me a year or two and I'll let you know how it works out. One of my plans is to place a large one piece section of Geo Fabric on the bottom covering the entire pond with exception of the deap end and then place 6-9" of #9 river stone over the top of this to separate the clay from the stone. The outside walls will be large boulders. This should provide an attractive bottom and minimize the clay infiltration. Never seen anyone try this so, I may be the first.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
tetra pond makes 'koivital', it reproduces the mineral,vitamin,and other componants of a kois natural enviroment, even helps induce spawning, i use it indoors and out,both ponds.
Yet another thing I need to get. I am just ordered the microbe-lift-pl gel from the pet supply and got some 1 1/4" tetra tubing for cheeper than lowes so basically covered the shipping or the microb, but they didnt have koivital. Hopefully the local pond store has what I need as they didnt have the Gel, only the liquid for the microbe-lift-pl.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if theres one nearby..Meijers here carries a full line of Tetrapond products including koi vital and some Organica too, both are quality products, and 1/2 price from the pond stores around me. . one store charges $25.00 for the organica bacteria 16oz and meijers has it for$11.99...aquasafe dechlorinator $16.99..meijers $9.99 etc... and in fall they clearence them.. i stock up. but i use them year round..basement pond!!

Reaction score
No that seems to be a strickly midwest store. Well I think in my other post I to have somone tell me what all else I need to get once I get it going. I dont think my city water has much clorine in it, plus I plan to use well water if I can figure it out. Cause I dont know what organica bacteria is...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
same as microbelift and the others but not a gel.. liquid for maintainence dosing, the gel is fastest for starting filters. but occasional maintainence dosing keeps the bacteria numbers up!!(not necessary,but helps)

Ask a Question