Muddy black stinky pond water HELP please!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am new and have no experience of natural ponds (or any other ponds) I moved into a new place and got this pond (approx 35cm deepest point) with plants in it and frogs also lived there in spring to breed (not water frogs) There were also plant baskets in there which of I took many out there as it only made it worse... The fact: this pond is muddy with thick stinky black mud and I will work on it but do not know how and where to start. I thought of getting first some wellies and taking a net and fish out this mud? (what do i do with this black stinky mud, second question?) How do i get out this mud?? its unbelievable thick and I guess its more mud than water now. Please help if you know how. I would prefer the most healthy option as I love nature, plants and frogs living there. THANKS so much for any advice and your time. Thats very kind!! Please see the picture of the pond ;) syb x
IMG_4133.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and the mud with water added will fertilize plants and yard .Sorry to hear they did not at least trim back the plants .It looks like it could be a great addition to your yard with love and work .Any fish in it

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
giphy11.gif

Sounds like your pond has been neglected for quite some time. You might have to clean it down to the stone (I image the pond is stone from the surround) and start from scratch. Like @sissy said, great lawn and garden fertilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am new and have no experience of natural ponds (or any other ponds) I moved into a new place and got this pond (approx 35cm deepest point) with plants in it and frogs also lived there in spring to breed (not water frogs) There were also plant baskets in there which of I took many out there as it only made it worse... The fact: this pond is muddy with thick stinky black mud and I will work on it but do not know how and where to start. I thought of getting first some wellies and taking a net and fish out this mud? (what do i do with this black stinky mud, second question?) How do i get out this mud?? its unbelievable thick and I guess its more mud than water now. Please help if you know how. I would prefer the most healthy option as I love nature, plants and frogs living there. THANKS so much for any advice and your time. Thats very kind!! Please see the picture of the pond ;) syb x
View attachment 103109

Hi Lizzy, thanks for your reply. Good to know what to do with the mud. Thanks. How would i empty it with. Are there strategies and tools? Do you know that? Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
Another idea would be to add an air pump and air stone and let it clear itself up.
Reduce the plants covering the surface by about 75% because that extensive surface area coverage is preventing sufficient gas exchange.
Water movement is important and I prefer air stones over water pumps because water pump intakes can become clogged.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
welcome and the mud with water added will fertilize plants and yard .Sorry to hear they did not at least trim back the plants .It looks like it could be a great addition to your yard with love and work .Any fish in it

Sorry if my reply is mixed up I am just learning how to use the forum. Thanks for your reply. How would i clean this pond completely. How do i get the the mud out? Any technic for that? Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome!
Another idea would be to add an air pump and air stone and let it clear itself up.
Reduce the plants covering the surface by about 75% because that extensive surface area coverage is preventing sufficient gas exchange.
Water movement is important and I prefer air stones over water pumps because water pump intakes can become clogged.

Thanks, that might be an idea. I read about those pumps and making air and oxygen to put live in back there...I thought that the pond is so muddy that even a pump would not work with it. Maybe it does still even its soooo muddy? I guess such pump would be expensive. Do you know it? Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if my reply is mixed up I am just learning how to use the forum. Thanks for your reply. How would i clean this pond completely. How do i get the the mud out? Any technic for that? Thanks
NO FISH IN THE POND ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If your pond is what it looks like, basically a catch basin for the surrounding landscaping, then bacteria, algae and plants are going to be your best filtration system.
Those 3 components work best with good aeration and water movement.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
dirty water pump will empty it if that is the only way to go .The pumps can be cheap and you will only need a small one and a hose tor it

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How thick do you estimate this sediment layer to be? How is this pond constructed? Earthen-bottom? Liner? Concrete?

A good solids-handling pump will remove all but the larger pieces of debris, which will require manual removal. This waste can be spread out evenly in a garden of landscaped area on your property (excellent fertilizer).

You should be able to secure an adequate pump through a rental company. I assume that those exist in the UK.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-8-10_15-22-15.gif
@sybille
I like the bucket, net, scoop way as @mrsclem suggested. Get down and dirty w/your pond and start out brand new. Then let it cycle and the frogs etc. will come eventually. You could put in a few goldfish to keep the skeeters down if you like once the pond is cycled after a few weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If your pond is what it looks like, basically a catch basin for the surrounding landscaping, then bacteria, algae and plants are going to be your best filtration system.

Hi MitchM, thanks so much that sounds good and makes sense ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Hi Mitch, Could you please give me some more advice.
Do you think I should put those baskets back there? (as it seems they are good for filtration) Maybe they are dead now (out for 4 weeks already) As you can see the ones standing on the side are the ones i fished out so far. There are a few more in. I was wondering if its not a bit too much for this tiny pond (?)
And I guess I can buy those bacteria stuff in a shop, right. So what would be my next step: Buying bacteria and put them in or fishing the mud out (pumping it up) and then waiting for new rain as this is a pond filling itself from rainwater only.
Sorry as this are many questions.
I might get me a book about nature pond keeping.

Ask a Question