Multi bay and plant filter combined?

Reaction score
Hi all, first post here.

I have a 50 cubic meter pond with some koi on it, and I intend to improve the filtration (mostly done by plants now). I intend to add 10 or so containers of 100 Liter each, with a vortex or ultrasieve before them.

Now these containers (for lack of better word) will be in sight and I thought, why not make them look and work better by adding some plants? Here is what I was thinking:

(click for full size).

I was thinking of doing a few of those with floating plants, and some with marsh plants (hope thats the right english word). The ones with marsh plants, Id make the drain lower and leave room for a finer substrate.

Is there a reason why no one seems to be doing this?

Also, assuming this isnt a terrible idea, any suggestions on what plants I could use for such a setup, and what to use as substrate? This filter will be placed in a light spot, but not much direct sunlight.

Any tips, comments or suggestions are welcome before I do something stupid (which I fear as I cant seem to find anyone doing something similar).

Cheers,

Vertigo.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is an almost exact drawing of the filter I have running on my arizona pond. I also did the same on another pond in arizona at a different house.

It worked great for my ponds.

Have a bottom drain so you can flush the media out. I used to use a hose, open the bottom drain, flush from the top.

I have used lava rock, a lot don't like them, heavy and harder to clean, I never removed mine, just back flushed.

Reaction score
Thats good to hear :). It seemed so obvious to me I wondered why everyone is making ugly multibay filters and hiding them, when they can look good (I hope!).

Do you have any suggestion on plants and substrates I should use?

Also, where do I position the drain (between the coarse lavarock and the finer substrate?) and how do I make sure the drain doesnt clog? Run tubing with holes throughout the container?

lastly, Im a bit worried about overflowing. I guess I will have to experiment, but perhaps someone can just give me the answer: I have a 6000L/hour pump that will be connected to a prefilter/vortex and foam separator thingy (that I just built today :)) through a 30mm hose. For the outflow I was thinking of 2x parallel 50mm plumbing and hoses. Will that be enough?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i put the egg crate light grids on pvc over the input pipe and the drain pipe. Kept the rocks, filter material away from the drain. The drain was at the very bottom of the container.

A lot of people use pot scrubbers, fencing material, etc, check the diy section they talk about different media that works well.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
plants watercress if you can get it there it loves running water and very good at eating up your nitrates ...plus you can cut it and eat it :0)
and the more you cut it back the more it grows !

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
stroppy said:
plants watercress if you can get it there it loves running water and very good at eating up your nitrates ...plus you can cut it and eat it :0)
and the more you cut it back the more it grows !

good idea stroppy, I will put some watercress into my bog!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
darn all i have is sun, one little area of the bog is shaded water will be moving might try it there.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
addy1 said:
darn all i have is sun, one little area of the bog is shaded water will be moving might try it there.

addy i meant it doesnt mind being in full sun ...sorry i may have confused you there ... it doesnt like still water much tends not to grow as well

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing got it, will put some in my stream and pond then. Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Me too.............I think I have seen seeds for Water Cress in the seed stands at the store. I'll have to get some or just grab some whenever I'm at the produce section :regular_waving_emot

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We must take pics to see how they grow and it would be nice if they carried over from year to year.
Speaking of plants.........yesterday we went for a walk by the river and there was a little pond nearby and I spotted floating duckweed and azolla and just had to have it. We couldn't reach it just standing on the bank so my sweet dear man took off his jeans down to his underwear (no one around at all) and waded in up to his butt (Brrrrrrrrrr) and got lots for me. Then I spotted people off in the distance so he had to hurry and wash off the gunk and duckweed that stuck on him all over like glue and get his pants back on. He had just gotten a shot of cortisone for his back the day before and he was feeling no pain and full of energy...............lucky for him and lucky for me too :yikesu:

Ask a Question