Multiple Taro Blooms

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This year, my giant taro has been a blooming fool. This is the 3rd time this year it has bloomed, once while still inside for the winter. It bloomed again shortly after it was moved outside, and now it's at it again.

The first 2 times there was only one bloom, perfectly normal. This time, there are 6, so far. Some are not yet open, and one is already spent.

Anyone else ever had multiple blooms on a taro plant? I hope it's not it's last gasp for life.

Attachments

• IMG_20210802_105003545_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210802_105003545_HDR.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've had blooms, but never is such multiples! Maybe just a couple at a time, and even that's random. Maybe yours is just really happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
had black taro for 5+ years now and didn't even know they bloomed! So, what's the secret? I overwinter then put them in my bog; takes them a bit but I've had heights over 7' with leaves the size of bed pillows. Great pic, btw!

I'll ditto the 'really happy' diagnosis; is it the quality of drinks you're serving????

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I ordered taro bulbs this year, not sure what type but they don't like water. Not even in the bog but if we get heavy rain, they start to die off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have no idea why it's doing this. I have several taros and get the occasional bloom, but have never had multiples before. I don't remember any other plant blooming more than once a year either.

This particular one is in a large pot that gets moved inside a heated room in the barn for winter. Whenever it's warm enough, it moves outside until it gets too cold. I do fertilize it, probably pretty generously, but it's a large plant, so I feel it needs that.

Mrsclem, I was told that the bulbs will rot if put straight into water. The advice I got was to plant them in pots with potting soil and let them get started. When they have a few leaves, they can be put in water. They need to be actively growing before putting in a pond.

Thanks folks, for the happy plant comments. I certainly hope that is the case. Maybe it will do this again at some point!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The giant taro (Leucocasia gigantea) has multiple white spathes like yours does, but the regular taro (Colocasia esculenta) usually only has single yellow-orange spathes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks. I didn't realize that. Not sure of what exact type this is, but I would think you are correct. It has not done this before, so I was surprised to see so many blooms at once.

Thanks again for that information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have my taro pretty much at bog water level; I'm sure they get plenty of water. And when I overwinter, they're probably 2 inches under water.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
One of my taros did that this year, think the one I have the common name is Jack’s giant or thai giant, can’t remember now…definitely an interesting look.

Ask a Question