Muriatic Acid - anyone use to clean air stones?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
In preparation for winter, I ordered a diaphragm kit for my air pump...thought I'd have a nervous break down doing it, but that's another story - LOL !

I visited the fish hatchery today to buy new air stones, but they only had two and I need four .....just not my day :) Anyway, they suggested washing a couple of the old ones, with muriatic acid, said that's what they do. I also bought new hose, since they're a few years old.

I'm reluctant to use the acid....seems kind of strong. Anyone have experience using it? Thanks!

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I use muriatic acid in my pool
But I would be very concerned about using it on a bubbler, I would think that if only a tiny bit was left on it and then went in to the pond it could kill your fish, definitely kill the beneficial bacterria.
There has to be something safer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hello
I use muriatic acid in my pool
But I would be very concerned about using it on a bubbler, I would think that if only a tiny bit was left on it and then went in to the pond it could kill your fish, definitely kill the beneficial bacterria.
There has to be something safer
They told me at the pool store it's like PH Down. I remember going on a pond tour with a koi club once, and a member saying she cleaned her big air stones with muriatic acid. I think I'm going to look for something else. I'm sure the fish hatchery has bigger volumes of water etc, than my 1700 gallon pond, with 4 koi.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use peroxide and dollar store tooth brush's Safer and will not harm the stone .Soak it in a combo of peroxide and water for about a minute or 2 and use the tooth brush to scrub it .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I use peroxide and dollar store tooth brush's Safer and will not harm the stone .Soak it in a combo of peroxide and water for about a minute or 2 and use the tooth brush to scrub it .
Thanks!
I wish I would have known to try this, I just bought 4 new stones and they weren't cheap:unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Muriatic Acids isn't that bad, use eye protection and rubber gloves, pour it carefully into a plastic container and soak the bubbler a few minutes, then remove and rinse well a little bicarb will neutralize any acid you missed if your really paranoid.
Muriatic acid is very corrosive to iron and steel and even some of the lesser stainless steel alloys, even the fumes will rust it in a heartbeat.
Vinegar would probably work just as well.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello

Thanks!
I wish I would have known to try this, I just bought 4 new stones and they weren't cheap:unsure:

Can you take them back ?
Clean your old ones and if they work take the new ones back.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Some airstones may be damaged over time with cleaning with certain stuff .After I paid good money for mine I sure don't want to ruin them .I prefer something that I know is fish safe .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Some airstones may be damaged over time with cleaning with certain stuff .After I paid good money for mine I sure don't want to ruin them .I prefer something that I know is fish safe .
The two new ones I purchased were $7.99 a piece...just wish they'd had more :)

Ask a Question