murky pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Earlier I thought you said run-off was getting in your pond. Have you corrected that? If that's the root of your problem, why not correct that instead of trying to constantly filter out the dirt? Perhaps a berm or trench to guide the run-off away.
I think I took care of the runoff. It was caused by water Iris shifting the rocks. Took out the Iris & repositioned the rocks. Seems to be working.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Read my last post @Joan Jarmon - it may not be possible if you don't have an extra pump or you can't re-route your waterfall line.
Ok so I ordered a pump to put in a basket. Pump was delivered yesterday broken, so I'm going out tomorrow to look for a new one. In the meantime I stuck in an aerator, it's bubbling things up some, gunk is coming up from the bottom & heading for the filter. I can see the bottom of the pond now, water is clearer, but still discolored

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, here it is Monday morning. After getting up early yesterday & finding a new pump, I set about doing the basket outside the pond filter. Now without sounding snubby, I hated how it looked, right out there in the middle of my yard. It just wasn't aesthetically pleasing.
So.. I set about drilling holes in a large bucket, putting the new pump in & stuffing it with batting & putting it in the water. 4 hours later my pond was tinged with a little brown color, but clear right to the bottom! I thought Great! Finally! Just when I was done for the day & ready to sit, enjoy my clear little pond with my nice cool vodka & tonic, I notice the darn thing is clouding up again. The water feature is still running strong, so I don't think the filters are clogged, but here I am back to where I started. .only now I've got a headache worrying about this thing. I also put in an aerator over the weekend

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-6-11_8-38-28.gif
@Joan Jarmon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So, here it is Monday morning. After getting up early yesterday & finding a new pump, I set about doing the basket outside the pond filter. Now without sounding snubby, I hated how it looked, right out there in the middle of my yard. It just wasn't aesthetically pleasing.
So.. I set about drilling holes in a large bucket, putting the new pump in & stuffing it with batting & putting it in the water. 4 hours later my pond was tinged with a little brown color, but clear right to the bottom! I thought Great! Finally! Just when I was done for the day & ready to sit, enjoy my clear little pond with my nice cool vodka & tonic, I notice the darn thing is clouding up again. The water feature is still running strong, so I don't think the filters are clogged, but here I am back to where I started. .only now I've got a headache worrying about this thing. I also put in an aerator over the weekend
give it a few days, it is silt and particulates, it will take a few days. Were you able to remove sludge off the bottom, now that you are able the see better?

Reaction score
Country
United States
give it a few days, it is silt and particulates, it will take a few days. Were you able to remove sludge off the bottom, now that you are able the see better?
Yes I'm removing a little at a time, I only have a $25 vacuum. Years ago I had a pond 'person' suggest I put river rocks on the bottom, not sure it was such a great idea, it's a bear to clean them. Thanx. I'm hunting for somewhere close to get some water plants. Maybe a few hyacinths & a couple more lilies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... so you put the whole set up back in the pond? Did I get that right? Didn't it dump everything back in the pond when you pulled it out?

Granted it doesn't look nice, but it's meant as a temporary situation.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If I’m not mistaken, I think this was the idea for the bucket and quilt batting. You let the water flow through and it goes back into the pond. It’s a temporary set-up in this situation. Some people are able to position the bucket under a waterfall for the same effect (minus pump).
F56C49A3-76DD-493C-A4BA-0B004E4CEE13.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmmm... so you put the whole set up back in the pond? Did I get that right? Didn't it dump everything back in the pond when you pulled it out?

Granted it doesn't look nice, but it's meant as a temporary situation.
So far so good, we'll see what happens next. I'm hoping this will be temporary too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My water is taking time to lose the discoloration this year, too. It's caused by tannins as you know - not sure why it's taking longer than normal to clear. Maybe a cooler spring?

Ask a Question