Murky water….due to chemicals or plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hello,

I used Sludge Away on my pond about a week ago. I also repotted 2 water lilies.

Immediately after the Sludge Away product the water was tea colored as expected.

The next day I repotted the lilies - in tubs with soil from the garden (clay, compact). It was recommended to me NOT to put rock of any kind on top of the soil in the tubs, but just to use compact soil.

Since then the water has been murky/muddy looking.

Do you think this is just due to the Sludge Away working? Or the dirt from the plants?

On a side note we also had VERY heavy rain/storms around this time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It sounds like you're saying the water was tea colored, but not muddy, after using Sludge Away, then became muddy after repotting the lilies? If so, I'd say it's mud from your koi, digging around in your lilies....could also be a combination of both things.

I cover my lily pots with deer fencing to keep my koi out, otherwise, they make a mess!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
use of kitty litter is better it also helps clarify the water .It will get a little cloudy .i would worry about soil from a yard as you never know what is in it.We treat soil in yards with all kinds of stuff plus runoff can be in there from other yards .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
use of kitty litter is better it also helps clarify the water .It will get a little cloudy .i would worry about soil from a yard as you never know what is in it.We treat soil in yards with all kinds of stuff plus runoff can be in there from other yards .
You plant your plants just in kitty litter? Or you put it in the pots on top of the soil?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I plant mine just in kitty litter, in a oil pan. The litter when it is first put in and getting wet does murk up the water a bit. The little bit of murk goes away pretty quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
A lot of us here, plant our lilies in plain kitty litter, the clay, non clumping, unscented variety. I learned it from @addy1 :) prior to lowering mine in the pond, I wet it down, to avoid the plume of dust.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol sometimes I wet it down, sometimes I don't the cloud of dust disappears pretty quickly. I see it being close to koi clay that a lot like to have added to a pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
things is the dust from it clarifies the water just like koi clay and is a good mineral for the fish .Just not as pure as koi clay .The company that makes kitty litter will not say it is pure because it is going down a factory line and could pick up stuff from the line and also from processing .But then you never know how they process koi clay either .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
things is the dust from it clarifies the water just like koi clay and is a good mineral for the fish .Just not as pure as koi clay .The company that makes kitty litter will not say it is pure because it is going down a factory line and could pick up stuff from the line and also from processing .But then you never know how they process koi clay either .
I didn't know this, very interesting. I'm curious about koi clay, I've never used it. How often and how much, do you use?

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
How long did it take to clear?
Until it all leached out or was dug out by the fish. It never really did clear up that season and the fish dug the plant's completely out. We probably don't have a comparable situation.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
koi destroy plants and I use a cup of koi clay once every month during spring and summer and cut back to a cup once every 3 months in the fall and winter and pond is just over 5000 gallons .I think it helps to keep green water away and also helps the fish and I really never get much string algae ,if at all

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Funny thing though,once I just let the lilys grow free in the water they exploded in growth. One pot turned into a mass of lily tubers that way near 100 lbs when I pulled them out last fall. No more lilys for me,my koi are prettier then plants.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Also if you add koi clay you need to turn your pumps off for at least a half hour to allow it to do it's job .It will help the finer algae also go to the bottom of the pond and it can be scooped up by a net .

Ask a Question