Murky water after parrot feather put in the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
The water looks a muddy mess. I took the PF out of the container, divided it into 4 sections and put it in the pond. It's tucked into corners or held in place by rocks so we don't have a repeat of the pump sucking it in. I hope. I still can't believe it suck in a huge clump. The pump is ok, luckily.

The mud will eventually dissipate and my clear water will return, I hope.

Yes?

Husband does not think the water is clear enough when I think it is. He thinks a UV filter is the answer. Yes? No?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If the parrot feather was in soil, the water will clear. I just got an ornamental grass on clearance at Lowes and put it into my window box planter on my one pond. Within an hour I couldn't see down 2". I had hosed off as much soil as possible but had also had the window box water supply get blocked. I opened up all the spray jets to get the water flowing. The next morning the water is crystal clear all the way to the bottom which is 5'. UV will clear algae, not sure if that is what your problem is without pics.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would give it time, most likely you had some dirt on the plant. Like mrsclem says

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
cloudfish.JPG
Here's a thumbnail of how it looked. I have not yet checked this morning. The new aerator is working well, thankfully, as the bubbles can be seen, mostly on the right side.

I am glad it was just mud. Does excess mud somehow deplete oxygen?

Last edited:

Ask a Question