murky water in february

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. My name is Heidi and I live in New Hampshire. Last spring I decided to add a koi pond to my landscape. I originally dug a 1200 gallon pond, but quickly realized that it was too small, or shall I say, my obsession took over and I wanted a larger one. Thankfully, I have a wonderful huband who agreed to have another one professionally built. I now have a 4000 gallon 18'x22'x40" pond that l love (I would have made it deeper, but we hit the water table). I have six 10" to 14" koi and two shubunkins.
Having fallen in love with my fish, the thought of them freezing in the cold winters of New Hampshire was more than I could bare.I also had visions of my pond freezing solid and killing all my fish, so I decided to cover it. I found a website that gave instructions for covering it rather cheaply...a little PVC, 6ml plastic and a lot of duck tape, I had a structure large enough to enclose my pond and a bench for us to sit on and watch them on the sunny days...it's a win-win for us and the koi.
As of today, and due to a mild winter, the outside temperature is 40 degrees, inside my "koi igloo" the temperature is 65 and the pond water 40 degrees. The pond, however, is murky. I cannot see the bottom of it. My question is, is this normal? Due to the cover, I had very little organic matter falling into the pond, but do have some plants (lillies) that I cut back in the fall that are in the water. As of two weeks ago, I could see all 8 fish. I have a bubbler going 24-7.
Again, is this normal? Does anyone else cover their ponds?
Thanks,
Heidi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am new to this, but it sounds like the koi igloo has kept the temps so nice in there the algae is starting to bloom and maybe since the plants are dormant and your pumps not running there is nothing to compete with it?

I have heard this is normal in ponds come spring when temps warm up but the plant and filter echo systems are not yet flourishing. Once the filters and plants catch up it normally clears if you have a good balance. Your pond may think it's April.

But I am sure more knowledgeable folks will reply.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefrogcar.gif

Welcome to our group!

You might want to get your pump running again, if you can. Have you done any water changes or tested the water parameters? You might want to check to make sure nothing has gotten out of whack with the water.

Reaction score
thank you both for responding. I do have 2 pumps and filteration systems (a Savio and a Skippy) and I think I might get one going to see if that helps. I think Pecan might be right...my pond thinks it's April!!! I will also do a water test, but I don't think I should do a water change, if I don't have to, because the water coming out of our outside faucet is 55 degrees (15 degrees warmer than the pond..) ouch that's cold!!! Is there a water test kit that you recommend? Do they make digital ones?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use the liquid test kits, you can get them pretty cheap from ebay or even a pet store. Having one will help you keep your pond healthy and stop from having any issues that catch you by surprise,. Without your filter running, your ammonia levels could increase to a point it could kill your fish, esp since your pond is warming up. That is one reason to do water changes, or at least test the water.

https://www.google.c...lient=firefox-a

Reaction score
Addy1, I have the liquid tests and will do it tomorrow. OMG, now I'm nervous. I hope it's just algae and not ammonia!!!!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ammonia won't cloud the water, just a good idea to test it and make sure all is good. Then if your readings are off do a small water change. Your fish would be showing some issues if you had real high ammonia, but just elevated ammonia will start to affect them.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your covered pond and the warm weather woke up your pond
If you can start up your filter

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and guess your koi love the igloo .But you would have to be careful of a heavy wet snow load because it may break the structure .Your best bet is when they put pond heaters on sale pick one up for next winter.I bought one after last winter and it works great ,got it at pet mountain .com for 29 dollars for 750 watts

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. My pond always gets a little murky towards the end of winter. I am planning on starting mine up in a week or two.

Ask a Question