murky water question...

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first posting.... I am extreamly new to pond keeping and and have a question on water murkyness. I have a 50 gal round preformed pond that was given to me by a friend. It came with a fountain. I have it all set up and have been running it for about a month now and I have some comet goldfish in it and I pulled som frogbit floating plants from my indoor fish tank along with some crypts and some fast growing stem plants. Everything has been going well until recently. In the past week and a half the water has become murky and I no-longer can see the fish in the water. Any suggestions on how to clear up the water? I know next to nothing on pond keeping. I also have other questions but will put them on another thread.

Reaction score
Ok, since no one is helping..... yet. I'll re-phrase the question.... Should I be doing water changes on the small pond or should I be getting a filter on it? The water is a brownish green color - if that helps. I have the fountain going 24/7, It has a sponge filter on it. The pond is about 50 gal. and there are about 10 small (2'-3") comet goldfish in there right now. Some of them will be moved in about 2-3 weeks to a bigger pond when I get that up and going.
a pic of the pond....
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/cwilfinger/09-1.jpg

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Small ponds are a real problem since they go fast when it comes to algae. I have a similar problem with a temporary pond I set up for baby koi. Get a good filter going and clean it daily until you can get control of it. Shade it as much as possible.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you can make a small filter out of a 5 gal bucket it would realy help the water and the fish...
Welcome to the forum...
You are very close to my old stomping ground .... Hanover park

Ask a Question