murky water

Reaction score
hello all,

second year with the pond but first winter with my renovations( new plants/ stream/ new rocks etc..). i had a problem this year with the netting, a small hurricane came through in the fall and ripped the netting away and many leaves got in. i did my best to clean them out.

now last week i had a boulder on the edge of my pond and a rather large dog managed to dig and actually roll the boulder into the pond. ( i pray that the liner is ok. it was a 2 foot drop from the edge.

we also had a ton more storms since then. now the pond is a little murky and i can sorta see the fish and some of the rocks at the bottom. kinda looks like when u get a heavy rain storm and the pond water is distrubed and takes a few days settle back down.

Well it doesnt look like it is settling? does everyone go through this when the pond filter is turned off? im hoping in the spring to turn the stream back on and the water will clear again :/

so is this normal? i cant remember what it looked like the year before.

i have 6 koi 500 gallons, center of pond is 3 feet deep, edges 2 feet.

Mike

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Last year my pond stayed mostly clear until February or so. I had everything off, as soon as turned our pump back on the pond cleared within a day. It has been a cold hot cold hot winter, stuff is growing, no filtration = murk you imho should be fine once you get things running again.

Reaction score
thanks guys, no didnt test, wasnt sure if it was worthwhile with the temps being in the 20's do u think its a good idea? fish seem to be ok despite the murky water

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It wouldn't hurt, just to make sure something is not going wrong.

Ask a Question