murky water?

Reaction score
We have a fish pond in our garden that holds roughly 2000 litres of water and currently has11 fish.
Just over a week ago, we thoroughly cleared out our pond but recently it has turned dark, murky colour-similar to how the pond looked before. Fish are only visible on ledges or when close to the surface.

We use barley bags and a small variety of oxygenating plants to control algae and blanket weed. Is there something wrong, or does my pond seem fine? I can only think that the clarity issue is because my pond is fairly deep.
Please give some suggestions to how to keep my pond clean :razz: . All help appreciated.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just going through a stage since you cleaned it and now has to cycle all over again .Koi also produce a lot of waste and need a lot of water filtering .

Reaction score
It has been reported by others in forums that barley can discolor water, especially in a newly cleaned pond. It's just rotting organic waste and so it can have various negative effects on water quality from tannins, to bacteria blooms feeding on the rotting waste to chemical reactions from the waste products such as hydrogen sulfide. In an older dirty pond the effects of add a little bit more rotting organic matter isn't really that noticeable.

Impossible to tell what the actual problem is of course in a forum.

Ask a Question