MUSK TURTLE

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone in the NE USA have a musk turtle in their pond? I received one as a gift. I’m looking for advice, will they survive an Ohio winter? I have frogs that do but this in new to me!?!?!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
They are native to Wisconsin and your state also so theoretically they could handle the temperatures. I have never had one in a pond but they are not the strongest swimmers so would need some shallow areas and places to hide.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mmathis - Turtlemommy, can you give any helpful input?
Thanks for thinking about me…..but my area of expertise is southeastern-range box turtles (non-aquatic turtles).

@donny young Maybe you could reach out to a turtle / reptile internet forum. In this case I would not advise searching on FaceBook, as these groups are not reliable. There is a FB group called “Exotic Vet Corners Educational Group.” They only allow questions to be answered by veterinarians, vet techs, and people with experience with reptiles that have been specifically approved to answer anything.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone in the NE USA have a musk turtle in their pond? I received one as a gift. I’m looking for advice, will they survive an Ohio winter? I have frogs that do but this in new to me!?!?!
I need to specify the turtle is a razorback musk turtle. I think they are different from a regular musk turtle. Sorry for the confusion :(

Ask a Question