Must have been something in the air

Reaction score
Two nights ago I took my dog outside and the roar of toads and frogs in the pond across the street sounded biblical. I caught 12 toads in my pond. The next morning it was to koi and goldfish turn. Hours of non-stop spawning. The water looked thick and was getting a scum on top in the skimmer. I had to pull fish out of the skimmer three times because to were pushing a female and went right in. Wanted privacy I guess. LOL Last night the air was dead silent, not a toad, not a frog and fish just slowly swam around looking for eggs to eat that they had missed the day before. I found fish eggs on the rock 6 inches above the water line.

The hyacinths around the inside edges of the plant baskets have hundred of eggs on them. It will be fun to see how many survive and what colors they will be.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Must have been a wonderful sound to hear all those toads croaking!
I've never seen the eggs of my goldfish but I know they spawn cuz I see them swishing up against the plants,chasing and cavorting and a few of the eggs do hatch and have gotten many little fish babies.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine have done it around 4 times already, have not seen any little babies yet. But the hungry suckers sure do follow the gal.

Ask a Question