TheFishGuys Goldfish Pond Build.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'll third that 'both' and raise you another 'both'. The bog is the easier part to dig, so why not do it while you're in digging mode? It'll be one of your better ponding indecision decisions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bog doesn't crack from an early freeze like filters. Bogs don't need daily weekly or even monthly maintenance chemicals like nitrates and phosphates get sucked up by the plants. The bog flowers or sustains life for vegetation we other wise could not support

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can no longer sneak away from my laptop for a couple of hours in the middle of the day.......

Speaking as someone who works with high school kids, this is exactly what they are trying to do, so they will be happy to know they are keeping you fully engaged! The spring "school" experience was a total fail all the way around. Time to buckle down and get caught up. The next best thing will be getting you back in school.

Speaking as a pond lover, I can think of far worse things a kid could be sneaking away from their computer to do, so... use those free minutes and get that pond dug!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Speaking as someone who works with high school kids, this is exactly what they are trying to do, so they will be happy to know they are keeping you fully engaged! The spring "school" experience was a total fail all the way around. Time to buckle down and get caught up. The next best thing will be getting you back in school.

Speaking as a pond lover, I can think of far worse things a kid could be sneaking away from their computer to do, so... use those free minutes and get that pond dug!
Yup!

I do have to agree that the whole spring thing was a fail, but the teachers seem to be ramping it up and getting a hold on things, and in some respects I am glad I can now get a good education, but in others well....

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Are you going to connect the old pond to the new pond?
Yup!
The old one just gets rock liner and such torn out and the “ wall beetween it and the new one torn out, I am not bothering with seaming the liner, as the old pond I just 15 mil pvc, so I will just get a new liner to cover the whole thing :)

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I'll third that 'both' and raise you another 'both'. The bog is the easier part to dig, so why not do it while you're in digging mode? It'll be one of your better ponding indecision decisions.
I am just trying to get something the koi can live in as soon as possible, so Mabye I will do the digging and retaining wall building now, and then in the spring do plumbing and figure out what pumps I need.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Update for all: slow progress, all down to about a foot, with my minor extension being planned, as for the big, where the pile of rocks that used to be a waterfall are, I will be building a small above ground bog, Mabye enough to filter a 3rd of the pond or so :)
2CA3C424-548A-45CD-B685-DD1761C393CE.jpeg

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
More progress, literally so close to being finished with the first shelf ( 8-14 inches ) Next update will be well into or finished with 2 ft section, why? Cause I secured help!! :) have help for most of Sunday, and of course the rest of the week to get that section started, hoping to be finished with excavation in the next 2-3 weeks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ambitious young man. If you put this kinda effort into a job that you love. Whether it makes a lot of money or not you will be a very richful young man.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Ambitious young man. If you put this kinda effort into a job that you love. Whether it makes a lot of money or not you will be a very richful young man.
Why thank you! I do greatly enjoy the process ( well except for the part where I actually have to dig ) and your pond has been a great inspiration. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
THANK YOU GLAD IT HAS HELPED

But I did as little shovel work as I could. This old timer likes his heavy equipment and big boulders. Not that it wasn't a lot of work . And yes plenty of hand work.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
THANK YOU GLAD IT HAS HELPED

But I did as little shovel work as I could. This old timer likes his heavy equipment and big boulders. Not that it wasn't a lot of work . And yes plenty of hand work.
This new timer does like his heavy equipment, and i do indeed also like big boulders, If I had a choice I wouldn't even touch a polaski ( pickaxe ) and shovel. but ynow, maybe when I actually have a job that pays decent. Cant wait to be 16 is all I can say....

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
ughhhh, well "help" turned into "look at this new video game I found so yeah we are gonna play it for like a million hours " sometimes I just wish video games didn't exist. But I guess al 12 year olds like to do is sit on their **s and look at screens. No help, so I dont have the two foot section done, but on saturday I did take the 8-12 inch section and make it a 12-14 inch section :) looks like I am on my own with digging, but hopefully I will be able to get some done this week.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
somebody blew a lot of money last night, I guess I have been saving up for this since like forever ago, but, it coming on friday!

pond liner.jpg

It will be sitting in the shed with my other pond liner that I got a while ago for this project, but this will definitely motivate me to dig faster, cause when I am done digging, I can just put my underlayment in, plop the liner down ( more like get the handtruck and the rest of the family cause it is so heavy ) and fill it with water, oh wait. nope on the the water part. I guess, then put another layer of underlayment on top of it and rock it in!

And yes although it hurt I got a 45 mm epdm liner. I could have bought me some airpods for what I would have saved on getting a PVC one, but oh well. :) its all for the best.

Ask a Question