TheFishGuys Goldfish Pond Build.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I guess al 12 year olds like to do is sit on their **s and look at screens.
You wanna stick with being 12 huh?
smrollingfloor.gif

You remind me of another young member that used to post on here some time ago.. I wonder what happened to him
smileythinking.gif

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
You wanna stick with being 12 huh? View attachment 134488
You remind me of another young member that used to post on here some time ago.. I wonder what happened to himView attachment 134487
Cant lie about my age ( well I could but why would I? )

just a little bit different than the average 12 year old, I think I know the one you are talking about was it @Joshaeus ?

I read too much on this forum ;)

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
You are beyond most that I have known. Love the pond you are building and all the thought you are putting into it!
Thank you! I have heard from my mom this is the last pond that I will put on her property ( unless I win this pondless waterfall giveaway I entered, then I can put a pondless in ) so I better do it right! well mostly right at least, I have to take a couple of shortcuts otherwise I couldn't say I made it.....

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Here we are. Pictures cant do it justice, it looks like 3 inches deep in pics, it is 32 inches deep ( at deepest ) in real life :)

Hole dug, again pictures don't show it at all
IMG_1109.jpg

Underlay in, just a bunch of peices of weed barrier, but out soil is pretty good with the amount of rocks and sticks in it
IMG_1111.jpg

Liner in, not quite smoothed out and conformed, and I under bought a bit, so it just goes above the edge in one place, but it is not bad :)
IMG_1112.jpg

I spent like 4 ( litterally if not more ) hours today, and am so dead. I is worth it though, cause now I *Just* have to rock it in, and then fill it up!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
nothing new right now,

but tomorrow is go get lots of rock day if we are still able to be at our house,

so looking forward to that!

my list currently is:

3 medium moss boulders for drilling and using as bubbling rocks

tons and tons of that tan small ish stackable stone, don't know what it is called, but I will know it when I see it, that is for most of the walls in the pond,

and a few nice sized boulders so the inside of the pond isn't all tiny rocks,

haven't decided what I will end up doing on the bottom, flagstone would still look real nice, but I am thinking some small ish smooth river rock, a lot less work.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here we are. Pictures cant do it justice, it looks like 3 inches deep in pics, it is 32 inches deep ( at deepest ) in real life :)

Hole dug, again pictures don't show it at all
View attachment 134542

Underlay in, just a bunch of peices of weed barrier, but out soil is pretty good with the amount of rocks and sticks in it
View attachment 134543

Liner in, not quite smoothed out and conformed, and I under bought a bit, so it just goes above the edge in one place, but it is not bad :)
View attachment 134544

I spent like 4 ( litterally if not more ) hours today, and am so dead. I is worth it though, cause now I *Just* have to rock it in, and then fill it up!
Not sure if you are planning on rocks on the bottom but I would recommend not putting rocks around the top before filling. As the liner fills, it will pull down and you don't want rocks tumbling into the bottom. I would try manuvering that section where the liner is short if possible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with @mrsclem - deal with that too short edge now. It will only plague you later. Best case scenario you can shift things around a bit and gain some excess on that edge. Worst case, you need to backfill a bit around that edge and shrink the footprint so your liner fits.

Are you experiencing fires? Is that why you mentioned you may not be able to be at your house?

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Not sure if you are planning on rocks on the bottom but I would recommend not putting rocks around the top before filling. As the liner fills, it will pull down and you don't want rocks tumbling into the bottom. I would try manuvering that section where the liner is short if possible.
The only rocks around the edge are the ones right by where the small waterfall was gonna go, that was just to keep it in place for some strong winds we had, they have been removed, and I dont even know If I willl get edging done before winter, the goal is mostly to get the inside done so it can be filled with water and overwintered with the fish.

I am working on turning the liner diagonally, so that I can gain some extra space, and have got a few inches, which gives me enough.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I agree with @mrsclem - deal with that too short edge now. It will only plague you later. Best case scenario you can shift things around a bit and gain some excess on that edge. Worst case, you need to backfill a bit around that edge and shrink the footprint so your liner fits.

Are you experiencing fires? Is that why you mentioned you may not be able to be at your house?
Read above to what I said to @mrsclem :)

Yup, we have the biggest one in colorado history right now, the fire is pretty ish far away but evacuations start around 2 miles from our house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
View attachment 134544

I would seriously consider 'fixing' whichever side is 'short on liner'. You want a MINIMUM of 12" on ALL sides. You'll thank us later. When I first did my pond, I fell a bit short too and regretted every second as over time, you're going to lose that 'little bit' and have a problem, possibly, with leaking, or you'll have to lower the level (as I had to do) to keep it from leaking. What you can do to fix this is either shovel in more dirt and shorten the pond at the low point or put in some blocks/pressure treated wood and create a new false wall, something to allow you to get your minimum 12" overlap. And it's a LOT easier to fix now then if/when you have problems later.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I would seriously consider 'fixing' whichever side is 'short on liner'. You want a MINIMUM of 12" on ALL sides. You'll thank us later. When I first did my pond, I fell a bit short too and regretted every second as over time, you're going to lose that 'little bit' and have a problem, possibly, with leaking, or you'll have to lower the level (as I had to do) to keep it from leaking. What you can do to fix this is either shovel in more dirt and shorten the pond at the low point or put in some blocks/pressure treated wood and create a new false wall, something to allow you to get your minimum 12" overlap. And it's a LOT easier to fix now then if/when you have problems later.
I have a few inches to spare, and like 2 ft on each side on the skinny side, but how would I "fix" it?

I have available to me, extra liner, seam tape, gorilla tape, and of course anything that is inexpensive and can be bought off amazon.

The one thing I don't want to have to do is pull out the liner, save some more, and get a new liner, that is sort of out of the question.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a few inches to spare, and like 2 ft on each side on the skinny side, but how would I "fix" it?

I have available to me, extra liner, seam tape, gorilla tape, and of course anything that is inexpensive and can be bought off amazon.

The one thing I don't want to have to do is pull out the liner, save some more, and get a new liner, that is sort of out of the question.

When I put my first liner in, because I didn't have enough slack, over the first few winters, along one side, the bank started to fill in, pulling at my liner. To stop this, which is similar to what you have going on, I lowered the water 6" below the area in question, then dug out the extra dirt that had slipped, but when I did this, I leveled the same area behind the liner and laid some brick, to stop any future sliding. This in essence, made my pond slightly narrower but more stable. I'm thinking you can do the same, and especially since you don't even have the water in yet, will be a lot easier.

Simply pull the liner back a bit off the 'short' edge. shovel some dirt in and tamp it to the side. You could also lay in some solid concrete slabs or create a pressure-treated (for ground usage) wood and create a verical wall. I'd just slide some of your extra dirt back in and tamp. Create a slope up to help everything stay in place. What you're doing is essentially putting back that part of your pond edge that you took out. When you do this, you'll see you now have extra liner as you've made your wall thicker and hence, the pond width/length shorter. It really isn't that hard to do, especially since you can get at everything without moving anything (except for pulling the liner back a bit so you can work).

Then of course, put the liner back. I'd think if you pack your new wall 6" thicker (pond 6" narrower), you'd gain the inches you need. See, as you fill, the water is gonig to pull the liner a bit anyhow, so you want some slack.

This is the way I'd do it as I'm not as confident in any seaming fixes.

Hope this helps.

Ask a Question