My 1st koi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son called today with a present , a 10 inch female koi , I loved it right away but as soon as I introduced her to my 12 other fish I spotted a problem , 2 of my comets and 1 small standard goldfish started chasing her around and this went on for 6 hours , eventually I removed the 3 fish and placed them in a tank for the night. Why are they rubbing up against my koi , why only these 3 , why are they pecking at her mouth ? The poor koi looked terribly stressed. What should I do guys ?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It almost sounds like she was full of eggs. They chase a female bumping into her to make her drop the eggs.
Other than that I can't say, I don't keep koi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks , she’s my first and I wasn’t expecting her, I’m at a loss what to do. Hate to see her chased all round the pond but maybe that’s normal?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It is strongly recommended to quarantine fish before adding them to an established pond, to be sure they are healthy. Is she plump to rounded in the belly section? She may be full of eggs, as suggested above. If that's the case, the ones chasing her around are sexually mature males, and if you aren't carefull you'll have babies! From what I have gathered, koi goldfish hybrids are steril, and tend to be dark or black colored. Id love to have a few. In fact, I'm hoping to get a butterfly koi and cross it with shubinkin. Just in case I can get the long flowing find and maybe some color, but that's not for a while for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Spawning time can get crazy and can be very stressful for the females. The males are relentless. Sometimes three or four males chasing one female all around the pond. Smashing into her as she tries to hide in a corner or in the plants.

Jamie, I have quite a few of those hybrids. At least I think that's what they are. Some are all black. Some black with golden brown bellies. Some really dark brown, almost black. I have a real nice one that has beautiful flowing fins.

It used to be hard to see the black ones because my water was murky. I'd only see them when they swam over a brighter colored fish. Now with the bog, my water is crystal clear and I can see everything, even tiny little black fry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Typically chasing is caused by hormones and sexual instincts. You can try putting in a clay pipe or something like that for her to hide in.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Frankie61 Didn’t you tell us that your pond is only around 400 gallons? Please ask your son not to surprise you with any more koi! Your pond is too small for koi.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is strongly recommended to quarantine fish before adding them to an established pond, to be sure they are healthy. Is she plump to rounded in the belly section? She may be full of eggs, as suggested above. If that's the case, the ones chasing her around are sexually mature males, and if you aren't carefull you'll have babies! From what I have gathered, koi goldfish hybrids are steril, and tend to be dark or black colored. Id love to have a few. In fact, I'm hoping to get a butterfly koi and cross it with shubinkin. Just in case I can get the long flowing find and maybe some color, but that's not for a while for me.
My son bought it from a breeder he told me the breeder took care of the quarantine before he got it, to be honest I wish I’d known about his surprise, at least I would have been prepared. A butterfly shub cross sounds interesting, Iv never seen one , I must check it out. Thanks for the comment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Frankie61 Didn’t you tell us that your pond is only around 400 gallons? Please ask your son not to surprise you with any more koi! Your pond is too small for koi.
Yip I did , it’s only a small koi , maybe 8-10 inches but will grow I’m sure . I will need to think what to do , will it stress because it’s the only Koi in the pond? It looks happy now my comets have left it alone , it’s swimming alone with the rest .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yip I did , it’s only a small koi , maybe 8-10 inches but will grow I’m sure . I will need to think what to do , will it stress because it’s the only Koi in the pond? It looks happy now my comets have left it alone , it’s swimming alone with the rest .
No it will swim fine with the other fish. Don't buy a buddy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Frankie61 - I know your son meant well, but that "small" koi will be double or even triple in size before you know it. I would suggest you ask him to return the fish to where he got it and explain that the pond is just too small for koi.

It's a pet peeve of mine that koi breeders don't take more care to guarantee that their fish are going to suitable sized ponds.

Ask a Question