My 2000 Gallon Garden Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I’m still putting some finishing touches on my pond that I started last year. I want to thank everybody for the advice. I have no idea how many hours I put into this thing but was a LOT of work. I used no special equipment; just me, a shovel, some buckets, and a wheel barrow. My wife helped with the decorative aspect and plants. I think it turned out alright. I wish I could post a video from my deck..

-2000ish gallons
-3.5 ft deep at the deepest point
-Bog filtration (30% surface area)
- 2” PVC plumbing with slits spaced out ever inch facing downward
- Ball valve for flow control and check valve to avoid drainage of the bog during power outage
- Three vertical clean-out pipes to access the plumbing
- One foot of pea gravel
-Skimmer box with 4000 gph Little Giant pump
-2000 gph submersible powerhead wave maker (used for a dead corner of the pond)
-Firestone 45 mil EPDM liner (30 ft x 30 ft)
-3 baby koi, 5 comets

2.jpg
187972528_10159362063821248_1534132115314000939_n.jpg
3.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Looking good! Nice spot for viewing next to the porch.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great job! Looks fantastic

Ad

Advertisements

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Very nice looking pond...great job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I see that you said it was a 30x30 liner, does that include the bog area as well? I really like the look of your pond. Excellent job on the build.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see that you said it was a 30x30 liner, does that include the bog area as well? I really like the look of your pond. Excellent job on the build.
Yes that includes the bog area as well. I wanted to use one liner for the entire build. That sure was fun unrolling by myself.

Ad

Advertisements

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Did a 25x25 in a 10x10x5.5 box- not fun!
Hell, I can beat that; try unrolling a 40x30 HDRPE liner INSIDE a 31x20 structure, AND with the banks forming a figure 8, PLUS figuring out a way to store half of it while I transferred the fish from the old pond into the new expansion half while I reconfigured the old side with everything fully landscaped inside already. Was not fun; glad my son was around! The folds in the middle at the pinch point made it madding and I kept muttering to myself; 'they say NOT to cut ANY liner, no, not one part of it!' Which sure would have made it easier as I over-measured by 7' or so in the width direction.

I truly appreciated then how much easier it is to do this when you don't have walls forcing the roll to be bent upwards just so you can continue unrolling.

btw, once I got it rolled past the pinch point and had the other side secured, I got supreme satisfaction CUTTING the liner! I figured, I was never going to ever need that much xtra. Not ever.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well I’m still putting some finishing touches on my pond that I started last year. I want to thank everybody for the advice. I have no idea how many hours I put into this thing but was a LOT of work. I used no special equipment; just me, a shovel, some buckets, and a wheel barrow. My wife helped with the decorative aspect and plants. I think it turned out alright. I wish I could post a video from my deck..

-2000ish gallons
-3.5 ft deep at the deepest point
-Bog filtration (30% surface area)
- 2” PVC plumbing with slits spaced out ever inch facing downward
- Ball valve for flow control and check valve to avoid drainage of the bog during power outage
- Three vertical clean-out pipes to access the plumbing
- One foot of pea gravel
-Skimmer box with 4000 gph Little Giant pump
-2000 gph submersible powerhead wave maker (used for a dead corner of the pond)
-Firestone 45 mil EPDM liner (30 ft x 30 ft)
-3 baby koi, 5 comets

View attachment 139716View attachment 139718View attachment 139717
Great job! It came out nice despite me having to compliment a Packer fan. Is that door county? It looks so nice. One question I had though.. you mentioned a lot of work?? That part I didn’t understand. I have had a pond 12 years and it has not been any work :)

Ask a Question