My basement pond project

Reaction score
I'm gathering parts now.

Ordered:
Eheim 1620 (900GPH) to power 2 55G barrel filters
lots of Taam Seio pumps (Couldn't resist - Big Al's having nice sale on them): 620 (two), 820 and 1100GPH. Not likely I'll use 'em all, but it doesn't matter. I need some pumps to mix salt water anyway.

Looking for decent air pump now to give bio filters more oxygen.

Now need to look for scrubby pads, 15x20 liner and wood.

Proposed dimensions for basement pond (nothing fancy) will be 11x8x3.5(deep) outside dimensions, using 2x6 framing. About 1300-1500G of water depending how high I'll fill it.

I posted a message a few days ago with picture of design, but it hasn't been validated yet?!?

Currently have domestic 16 koi in 70G and 130G tanks. They're not getting any smaller. LOL!

Reaction score
Okay, here's the 3d render of the basement pond.

11x8x3.5ft. 2x6s, 1/2 (or 5/8 ply) and 1/2" styrofoam on bottom and sides.

After reading a whole bunch of threads here and asking a few questions, I'm almost ready to build it. I even found some links on DIY bulkheads. And thanks to those that helped me out here!

Buying bits and pieces of plumbing really adds up, hence the DIY route. It cost me almost $50CDN just to buy plumbing for a canister filter (Bioforce 1000 for a 130G tank). All parts purchased from HD. Damn!

All said and done, I'm figuring this pond will set me back $1.5k in materials.

Definitely, I'll keep this thread updated with fresh pics as the project moves along.

Attachments

• pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 546
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND... hope it comes out nice!!!
mark

Thanks! How do you guys securely fasten pond liner at the top of a wooden tank? I plan to overlap the top section of 2x6s. Do you glue it down or nail it down? I still have lots of roofing nails left over from my shed build.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would roll it over the side and tack it down on the outside boards, then cover it with a nice wood trim.

Reaction score
Cool. I'll overlap as much as I can over the edges. May or may not be able to overlap on the long side, but we'll see. Ideally I want 16x20ft liner, but i'll have to settle for 15x20ft.

Anyway... Here's some domestic koi that'll end up in this indoor pond. They're ~5".

Attachments

• koi.jpg
    koi.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 507
Reaction score
I saw some potential in that guy. I'm no koi expert. Do you think it's a decent find at the LFS? There were about 100 to choose. These are the best I can do with domestics.

The rest I have, I'm not even going to bother posting pictures. LOL!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think the Sanke is 10 times the value of the other 2. At this size, they can still change, so you never know for sure until they are about 10". But I think I'm right about my assessment.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I think the Sanke is 10 times the value of the other 2. At this size, they can still change, so you never know for sure until they are about 10". But I think I'm right about my assessment.

Excellent! Thanks for the insight! Let's hope this little guy will shine. :)

I'm going to purchase a bunch of solid gold and yellow ones too in the future. I hope I can spot some at the LFS.

I'll stock up on a some imported japanese koi too but they'll be the small ones. I wish I can own 100% imported koi, but my wallet doesn't agree with me. LOL!

Reaction score
Yikes! I saw an actual Kohaku today at the LFS (domestic of course or from Malaysia). Fish are new, and not for sale yet (this place has 5 day warranty on fish). They also have a yellow and gold one that i want too. I don't want it to get snatched. I didn't have time to buy, was late for work. Heading back out during lunch break.

Reaction score
I just bought 15x20ft of pond liner from local pond shop... ran out of time... didn't go to Big Al's to buy the koi. I'll do it on the way home from work.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
jameskoi said:
Yikes! I saw an actual Kohaku today at the LFS (domestic of course or from Malaysia). Fish are new, and not for sale yet (this place has 5 day warranty on fish). They also have a yellow and gold one that i want too. I don't want it to get snatched. I didn't have time to buy, was late for work. Heading back out during lunch break.

That gold and yellow one might be a Kigoi, is it gold on top and light yellow on the bottom?

Reaction score
Here's my new stock for today.

I didn't end up buying the yellow/gold. It's a pretty solid colour. But I ended up buying a solid white. Sorry for the lack of better names.

But here's the best Kohaku I've seen since I started hunting for koi.

All these guys are about 6".

Attachments

• koi1.jpg
    koi1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 406
  • koi2.jpg
    koi2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 443
  • koi3.jpg
    koi3.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 432

Ask a Question