My Bio FIlter Build

Reaction score
I choose to plumb it in from the top mostly so I don't have to mess with a check valve to ensure I don't have a disaster should my pump fail. It just seems to make more sense to do it this way. I'll post some more pics if I work on it some more today. I haven't made a decision about what media to use yet. I'm leaning toward the poulty fencing. Maybe I'll run to home depot and check out some prices.

Reaction score
Yes, I am am planning on swapping that out. Does the Tee get capped then at the other end? Like this?

Attachments

• draw.JPG
    draw.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 307

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no cap on the tee.. you want the open air ..second pic is correct...now you may get some water splashing up when you first turn on the pump ..it will stop in a few seconds... this tee elliminates the resistance that an elbo would cause also. if your running a strong pump you may want to stick a piece of pipe in the top of the tee 2or3 inches will do.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Wow 473 miles and 6 hours 15 minutes driving time and this post has come alive.

I love my new Corvette...

Reaction score
Need some advice. As I said, I was going to try to get some air into the filter.
So as a test I ran the rubber hose from my pump into the 1.5 in PVC pipe, but left the exit point of the rubber hose above the surface of the water in the filter. The idea was that the water would exit the rubber hose, hit the surface of the water in the PVC pipe, agitating it, and send air bubbles down and out the PVC swirler pipes in the bottom. It worked! quite well actually. The only downside is that I will have to extend the inlet much higher, because once the water filled the barrel, it started to back up and out the PVC pipe.

Now my question, Is it worth extending my inlet upwards, ( it will probably need to go a least a few inches above the lid) just to get air in the filter? I know that most of you said it will work fine with out the air. When it was running as is it actually seemed quite violent as far as airflow goes. So I'm wondering if to much air would be a bad thing.

Here are some pics of the progress so far as well as one of the filter filling up where you can see the amount of air coming through.

Attachments

• IMG_0740.jpg
    IMG_0740.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0743.jpg
    IMG_0743.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 239

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if thats your garden hose your running in the pics...they have way more pressure and air in their flow than a pond pump. dont expect the same results.

Reaction score
jrladd said:
Need some advice. As I said, I was going to try to get some air into the filter.
So as a test I ran the rubber hose from my pump into the 1.5 in PVC pipe, but left the exit point of the rubber hose above the surface of the water in the filter. The idea was that the water would exit the rubber hose, hit the surface of the water in the PVC pipe, agitating it, and send air bubbles down and out the PVC swirler pipes in the bottom. It worked! quite well actually. The only downside is that I will have to extend the inlet much higher, because once the water filled the barrel, it started to back up and out the PVC pipe.

Now my question, Is it worth extending my inlet upwards, ( it will probably need to go a least a few inches above the lid) just to get air in the filter? I know that most of you said it will work fine with out the air. When it was running as is it actually seemed quite violent as far as airflow goes. So I'm wondering if to much air would be a bad thing.

Here are some pics of the progress so far as well as one of the filter filling up where you can see the amount of air coming through.

man, i'm just not following your question! Granted, I do have a glass of wine here, but I still don't understand what you're asking. Also, what are you doing just in case your barrrel clogs and overflows? Do you have an emergency pipe that heads back into the pond so it doesn't empty on itself?

Ask a Question