My Bio FIlter Build

Reaction score
LOL. Don't worry about it. I'm not gonna worry about getting air into the system anymore. I was just trying to be ambitious :alieneyesa: I hadn't thought about an overflow system yet. I am actually not too sure if I have enough vertical room to add in an overflow. mmmm time to get thinking..

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
koikeepr said:
CORVETTE!?!?!:alieneyesa:

What'cha talking about willis?

Here are both of them. #6 & 7.

Attachments

• 2007 & 1998 500.jpg
    2007 & 1998 500.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 210

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have had 7 of them and I always pay cash. I have had Corvettes since 1968 and I have not had a car payment in over 25 years. Leasing is for fools.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
jrladd
If you can feed a air line all the way down to the tee and make the turn the air would not push the water back up the pipe
Go for it

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Feed the air line down the same pipe you have already made for the water inlet that feeds the filter bottom...push the air line down and were it tees, add a tee in the air line , to let it go both ways. let the air lines come out of the pipes on both sides,,
Then air will only come up out side of the pipe

Reaction score
Heres some pics after todays work. I added a barbed connector for my rubber pump hose to attach to, as well as a 2 in. to 3 in. adapter to get a wider falls output. The 2 in. one I had made previously was too slow for my pump and the barrel was overflowing. I know it kinda looks ridiculous, but it will be mostly concealed once installed. :)

So do i need some type of overflow hose? I don't think a 2 in output would get plugged up, but Koikeepr got my worrying...

Attachments

• IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 259

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The formed piece does not have the same flow rate as before it was altered. Calculate the area before and after to see the difference.

Reaction score
the problem is you've got your pipes up really high on the barrel already. You need to get the overflow just above your waterfall outflow pipe. and it looks pretty high already to fit a 2" pipe.

That's why I suggested that you turn your inflow pipe (which is the highest one at the moment), into your overflow pipe, and then have your inflow come in at the bottom of the barrel (or at least lower).

I'm sure when you saw your previous version and your barrel started overflowing you could imediately see the benefit of an overflow pipe. ;) You would do one of two things, you'd either have the pipe flow straight the pond, so if it overflows the water returns safely into the pond OR you can tee it into your waterfall pipe so that it would still exit there. I would opt for a pipe straight to the pond personally, because if your filter overflows, it will already be pouring out of the waterfall pipe, too. I wouldn't go smaller than 1.5 inches for an emergency pipe.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you'll probably be o.k with the larger 3" waterfall end, your using rolled fencing as media so blockage of your outpipe is highly unlikely. my barrel filter maintains a water level 1&1/2" below the top rim of the barrel ... absolutely no variance unless i adjust outer pipes water exit height. i run a 1000gph pump thru my barrel now. what size pump are you using? the waterfall end is your biggest possible source of flow restriction.

Reaction score
Yes, the waterfall end was the problem. After switching out for the 3 in PVC, no more overflowing. Very steady levels in the filter.

So, also in the middle of building this filter, yesterday was pond re-digging day! I will post some pics of the yesterdays work in a little bit.

Ask a Question