My Bio FIlter Build

Reaction score
Here is after a few hours of re-digging. The pond was actually two ponds before, connected by a stream. I made it into one pond and got rid of the plant shelf. I also built the edge up so the water would be above ground level, and the rocks around the edge can sit in the water.

Attachments

• Dig 1.jpg
    Dig 1.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 271
  • Dig 2.jpg
    Dig 2.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 231
Reaction score
Here is my fish waiting for there new home. There is 4 koi, and a bunch of comets.

The tadpole really confused me. I put him in the pond last summer, and apparently he didn't finish his transformation last year, and decided to just hang out all winter. Its kinda weird because we had put 3-4 of the same tadpole in last year, and he was the only one who didn't turn into a frog.

There is also a pic of my one baby fish that survived from last year. Not sure where he came from and if he is a koi or a comet.

I had my old pressurized filter running in the pool the entire time.

Attachments

• Fish1.jpg
    Fish1.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 239
  • fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Tadpole.jpg
    Tadpole.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 209
  • baby fish.jpg
    baby fish.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 239
Reaction score
Had been filling the pond for a while, and decided to start filling it through the filter so we could start working on the waterfall. It was at this point I realized I am going to need A LOT MORE ROCK!

Thats my buddy Adam in the pics.

Attachments

• Filling1.jpg
    Filling1.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 253
  • Filling2.jpg
    Filling2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 259
Reaction score
After a full day of work, here is where it is now. I still need to finish the filter. I haven't connected my pump to the barbed input line on the back yet. It is just pushed down in through the top of the elbow. I obviously need a lot more rock.. But I am really happy with how its turning out. I still need to form the PVC waterfall outlet a little bit.
The fish seem to love it. They have much more surface area, and they already seem more active.
I am currently my pump into my old pressurized filter, the into the new bio filter. I figured I would run it this way for a while till the new filter becomes established.

Any of you who run these types of bio filters, do you also do any type of additional mechanical filtration?

Any suggestions on finishing the edging? My rough plan is to use a landscaping border and fill with mulch.

Attachments

• IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 245
Reaction score
The liner is a 20 mil PVC liner......:) I got it for practically nothing. I wish I could afford a nicer liner, but this is truly a budget project. (so far less then $300 + fish) The way it was setup before, the fish were separated in two ponds, neither of which were big enough for the fish in it. I couldn't afford a big nice liner, but knew I had to improve the size of the pond.

It was actually not that bad working with this liner. After being in the sun for a few hours it was pretty pliable and easy to work with. I am ok with the fact that it will not last as long, and hopefully by that time I can afford a nicer liner.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my freinds had his pond atleast 7or 8 years with a 20 mil pvc liner... no problems yet!!... oh yeah..its looking good!! and i know what you mean, i am a nickle and dime ponder myself gotta keep costs down

Reaction score
Hey guys! Filter is working great so far! Starting to see some gunk inside it. So that's good.

I found a local place to get stones. $40 bucks for a "carload". not too bad.

Any suggestions on how to finish the edge off? I am leaning toward a few more loads of stone and just have stone all the way down. Another option is to build a small retaining wall around the outside and fill the middle with mulch or pea gravel.

Need some opinions as I am having a hard time deciding.

Thanks!

Jon

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0780.jpg
    IMG_0780.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0781.jpg
    IMG_0781.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 251

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Fine deal! I would not put any near the bottom. Some large ones scattered around the outside would help make it look more natural.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Fine deal! I would not put any near the bottom. Some large ones scattered around the outside would help make it look more natural.

Yes, I am not going to put any rock in the pond, outside of what you already see which is really only partially submerged.

I am looking for any advice on the outside edges.

Reaction score
Anybody here have a doc style filter remotely located? If so do you have any suggestions for plumbing? Can the plumbing run horizontally or does it always need a downward pitch. Since it is only gravity feed I assume it can never go uphill.

I just got a new pump, and I am planning on using it to run my falls, which will be rebuilt, and use my existing pump to run the filter, which I want to move behind the garage.

Also, here are some more pics of the pond so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0854.jpg
    IMG_0854.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 255

Ask a Question