My Bog Filter Build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
With the weather warming up, I need to get off my butt and start my build. Many thanks to the great people on this forum for the great ideas. I'm constructing a container bog filter from a 50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank (52"x31"x12" tall). The PVC manifold has slots every 3" (on the bottom) and they're cut about 1/3 of the way through the pipe, all the way around. Here are some photos of what I've got so far:

The open tee to the right is for a clean-out, the top will be just above the pea gravel. Haven't decided if I'm using a threaded cap, rubber cap or slip cap. I'm leaning towards a threaded cap. Hopefully, I shouldn't have to open it much if at all.

The piping is 1-1/2" Sch. 40 PVC, except for the 1/2" bleed line valve. The bleed line valve was just added to be my siphon break to keep the bog from draining back into the pond. I intend to keep this valve just on top of the pea gravel and just slightly cracked open.

I plan on installing a union under the tee to the left, the down to a tee. There will be a tee on both sides of the tee. One side will connect to the pump hose, while the other side will be from a back flush.

Back flush operation: Shut the bleed valve, shut the pump valve and pump, then open the back flush valve and hopefully it will siphon out and remove any debris if needed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Let me know how this turns out for ya. I'm going to make a bog for my pond this spring too, and then let that water be my waterfall's feed. I am not sure if I'll use a rubbermaid tub or if I'll make mine out of liner yet though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your build looks great! I am going to make a small plant / bog filter for our deck pond, just run a small pump for it. The deck pond does not run except when the stream pump turns on a few times a day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How/Where do you plan on having the water go back to the pond. I'm thinking about doing exact same thing, but I still couldnt figure how I'm going to fit the water output back to the pond. My space is limited so it'll have to be from the tub's side so I'm looking for example of one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm probably going to drill two holes in the upper side (flat side) for 1-1/2" (male + female) electrical conduit adapters. Using the black roof sealer everybody seems to like. I'll know more once I get back to Lowes or HD.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I drilled two/ two inch holes in our 1000 gallon stock tank, stuck in two / two inch pvc pipes, gooped them up with the pl roofing stuff. That provided the start of the waterfall flow back into the big pond. Covered the pvc piping with some rocks so you can't see them.

The flow from the stock tank is to the right you can see it is sort of formed coming out of piping then waterfalls down the rocks into the big pond.

DSC05510.JPG
DSC05511.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Well, finally figured how I was going to do the outlets.

Here's the two outlets, right shows just the hole & left shows semi-assembled. Now, would there be an issue using aquarium silicone? I've heard of others using PL S30 roof & flashing sealant. I already have the silicone & HD didn't have the S30.

Here's a top down. The street elbow will not be glued, so I can swivel it to adjust the water height. Still trying to decide what to use as a screen, to keep the gravel from entering the pond.

And here's where it's going to be placed. I'm probably going to get some flat rocks to place between the container and to overhang the pond edge. Hoping to create a waterfall effect.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That looks great, flat rocks make a great waterfall effect. Make sure you tilt them a little. I would also recommend putting a piece of liner under the rocks you have in place and up the side of the container. I have some liner doing that and also wrapped it around the pipes i.e. via a hole with some pl goop, so if any leakage occurs there it too flows into the pond. That way if you have splash, back flow it will go into the pond not out into the yard.

Weird hd did not have the pl stuff, it is usually in the paint section. Aquarium stuff might work, make sure it can handle freezing.

You might want a cage type mesh over the outflow ports so a little debris won't cause them to back up the water. Gutter guard works great and you can bend it to do what you want.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yeah, I was going to slope the rocks towards the pond. I'll have to see how far out the liner extends. I think Lowes carries the PL S30, I just haven't had a chance to head over. I looked on the HD website and they say they have it in stock and even list the isle, I'll have to check again.

Thanks Addy, hadn't thought of gutter guard. I was trying to use the lawn guards, but the smallest I found was 3".

What type of hose/tubing should I use? Lowes/HD both show they carry the Corrugated pond tubing, but some say it cracks.

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have only used hard pvc, so can't help you there. If your liner is not long enough find a small piece and use that by having it drop over the edge of your pond from the waterfall. I have learned the hard way i.e. rebuild, that even if you think the rocks are sloped well you still have water going everywhere. Use the expanding foam to keep the water going over the top of the rocks instead of behind them. Fill in the gaps behind the rocks with it. Test your flow first, before you foam everything............done that too and then had to cut it out to change things lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have only used hard pvc, so can't help you there. If your liner is not long enough find a small piece and use that by having it drop over the edge of your pond from the waterfall. I have learned the hard way i.e. rebuild, that even if you think the rocks are sloped well you still have water going everywhere. Use the expanding foam to keep the water going over the top of the rocks instead of behind them. Fill in the gaps behind the rocks with it. Test your flow first, before you foam everything............done that too and then had to cut it out to change things lol

Is there a specific brand of Expanding Foam to use? Oh, and I did find the PL S30 Roofing Sealer.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used the pond stuff, it seems to be denser, also have used the gap filler at hd and lowes. It will squirt out, but just tear any extra off, over time you won't even notice it. Or toss some small rocks in it.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Is there a specific brand of Expanding Foam to use? Oh, and I did find the PL S30 Roofing Sealer.

Use "Waterfall Foam", it's grey or black. DO NOT use the regular expanding foam from building centres, it's NOT waterproof. Wear gloves when you use it, and don't get it on your skin or clothes.

Ask a Question