my box pond

Reaction score
I wanted the pond in front so I would see it going and coming. So size was limited. I built a 3'x3' (inside measurement) box that's 30" high. I used 2x4's and lined the inside and outside with tyvek and then covered the outside with cedar. I am hoping the air space will help to keep the pond from freezing. here in Portland Oregon we don't get a huge amount of freezing weather most of the time.
I just took the floating plants out as some were changing color and it was hard to clean leaves out with them in the way.
the pond is 160 gallons and I have three goldfish and two small Koi. I know when the koi get bigger they will need new homes. but without them the fish are not that friendly and my blind wife can't see them if they don't come up to see us.
I guess after reading I made a skippy filter without even trying. but I may change it over to a bio media for easier cleaning.
image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

image.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice, if you have cold issues you could add a small cattle trough heater.

Yours must nibble food from your fingers, neat for your wife.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Its a patio pond . Good job on the build ..&.Nice pics

Reaction score
it seems Koi get friendlier with more fish. but even two got the other fish to come up. the oranda would not come up at all till I put the koi in and now he gets food each time.
I wanted the depth at 26" and then added some just for comfort and leaning on.
I did not want it too heavy either.
I want to add some underwater lighting so my wife can see the fish better.

Ask a Question