My buddy gonna go belly up?

Reaction score
We had very cold weather here (Northern Colorado) a week ago. Was -5 to -10 deg F at night and didn't get over 15 deg F daily. My aerators kept a sizable hole in the ice, and the waterfall was running, but under 6 " of ice, so I hope not "supercooling".

Now that it's been warmer (20-50 deg f), and I can see the fish better, I've noticed my old man has developed a white patch on his body near the tail, and his lower fins turned partially white.

Is this the Koi equivalent of frost bite? I don't mean to make too light of this, as I kinda like this old fish, but I'm unsure what to do. Move in and warm slowly? Leave him alone as the water warms? Add treatment to the water (there appears to be no "fuzz" on the white areas)?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Gordon

Livermore, Colorado

Attachments

• sick fish.jpg
    sick fish.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 340
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm not an expert, but have had koi for close to 9 years now. The pictures doesn't alarm me, especially as you said there isn't anything fuzzy around it. There do not appear to be any ulcers or open sores either. Do you test your water? If so, what are the parameters? I'd continue to keep a close eye on him. Sometimes fish do turn colors….my avatar used to be black and orange.

I've also read where some fish do not handle winter well, but think you noticed it in their behavior. I'll be interested to see what others have to say….please keep us posted. Kim

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll keep an eye on him as water temp incereases.i appreciate your opinion and I'll update as we progress (or not).

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the. Forum !!
It could be my eyes , are there white spots on the tail ?

Reaction score
Thanks for the question and welcome. In looking at a few other photos, though not terribly clear, I see no indication of white on the tail. Just on lower fins and the back in front of the tail.

Otherwise, he seems healthy, but of course not eating in this weather. No signs of stress or distress.

Thanks for your help!

Gordon

Reaction score
I am not an expert and never will be, but if it was my fish because of the dormant state of the fish I would leave it alone. If you bother the fish in your pond now you may create more problems due to stress.

Reaction score
Thanks all,

The guy with white fins and the spot on his back seems fine - all are just hangin out in the cold, but they seem the same.

I'll monitor him and see how he's doing. Thanks for the advice, or comfort, as the case may be.......

Gordon

Ask a Question