My Carp have spawned, but wait they're supposed to be sterile.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Carp in my Pond with the oldest being 18 years old and when I purchased my Carp between 2004 and 2006 I was told that they were all sterile.

2021 I increased the size of my Pond because I was replacing a damaged liner and the company sent a replacement far larger than the original liner that they were replacing and so I thought why not utilize the extra turning a small pond into a pond 20' x 15'.

Whilst doing some maintenance yesterday I was amazed to see three young Ghost Koi Carp foraging in the edges. I was not prepared and so was unable to photograph or video the new residents.

So, it appears that my Carp are not as sterile as I believed them to be.

The video above is my Pond, as it is now following the repair and rework, the oldest Carp is the big White one.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Animals are amazingly adaptive, not Surprising as animals main objective is to keep themselves alive so they can reproduce more of themselves.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice big pond and fish! I wonder if the koi babies are full koi or half goldfish? How can you tell? I don't have koi, just goldfish and I know the koi have the barbells but not sure if the half breeds have the barbells or not.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nice big pond and fish! I wonder if the koi babies are full koi or half goldfish? How can you tell? I don't have koi, just goldfish and I know the koi have the barbells but not sure if the half breeds have the barbells or not.
From the ones I have seen, I have counted four Baby Ghost Koi... They have been hiding in the Rushes and Lilies over Winter so when they come out into the open as we head towards Spring and Summer I will post any pictures of them...

Ask a Question