My comet still has dropsy

Reaction score
Known as the kiss of death to all pond lovers my comet has recently succumbed to dropsy. I've been treating my fish with tetracycline as reccomended in DrDave's thread, but it has yet to show any significant results. As of now my fish is still swimming quite normally, but I'm concerned with the effectiveness of tetracycline because it has yet to work. Does anyone else have suggestions for me? Also I've been doing 50% water changes for about 3 days now.

Reaction score
Hi Phil! I'm so sorry to hear about your fish!

Perhaps DrDave can provide you more assistance here in terms of length of time, or if you can go higher in your dosage. As you treating a whole pond or is your fish in a hospital tank?

Honestly, I've never seen a fish recover from dropsy personally. DrDave's is the first one I've ever heard of. So sorry for what's happening!

Reaction score
has he gotten any bigger? still stable? After this amount of time and he's still alive, I would say the tetracyline is doing something!

How long has he been in this condition thus far?

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
has he gotten any bigger? still stable? After this amount of time and he's still alive, I would say the tetracyline is doing something!

How long has he been in this condition thus far?

Yes, he is still alive and is currently going onto his 5th day. Um, he appears to be a little less bloated, but I can't be too sure about this. Also the other day I left some pellets for him and it was gone the next. (Pellets are floating type)

Reaction score
this is all an excellent sign. Just be patient with it, and you may get him out of this pickle he's in perhaps. Eating is certainly a very good sign.

How big is the tank he is in? What are you doing for water changes? If you do change the water, you will certainly need to keep that level of tetracycline up. What are you doing for filtration? Do you have him alone or do you have a buddy in there with him?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The treatment should work if the right dose is given. Water changes and good circulation and aereation are essential.

Just had surgery on my right elbow so my responses will be delayed and very short.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
The treatment should work if the right dose is given. Water changes and good circulation and aereation are essential.

Just had surgery on my right elbow so my responses will be delayed and very short.

Thanks DrDave and Koikeepr.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Do tell, how is the lttle fella doing? Updates are important for others to learn from.
Update on mine. He is in perfect form and eats like crazy. I will soon have to cut him off with tank temps down to 57 degrees. I will be watching him and weaning him at 55 then cutting him off at 50.

Reaction score
at this point, my guess is that you've saved him. If you can get a fish with dropsy to go past a few days (rare indeed!), you should be good! Early congrats! Knock on wood!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I agree, if it was Dropsy, this fish would not be eating unless you treated it properly. That said, you did good...

Mine is eating so well that I am going to feel guilty when the cold forces me to cut him off. Every time I enter the nursery, he is waiting, with sad eyes and tail wagging, begging for food.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The meds gave immediate positive results that could be observed hour by hour. My Sanke returned to normal shape in less than 5 days. After 10 days, he was as healthy as I have ever seen him.
I am convinced that I will never lose a Koi to Dropsy as long as I catch it in time. The first clue is; they don't eat. Next they are lethargic, last they bloat and the eyes bulge out.

Ask a Question