KINDLE_CAMERA_1522525864000.jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1522525741000.jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1522525741000.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Not quit up to speed on how to post here yet, so sorry if this is choppy. Anyway these are photos of a filter I build this winter. Just treated lumber with a gutter inside, an inlet hose, and an outlet. The filter media is lava rock.
I kept the covers on it during the winter to keep evperation down and keep yard debre out. I have taken the covers of now that the weather is warmer. I am interested to see how it takes algae and other benafial gunk takes to grow in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes, great idea. The treated lumber worries me though. Pressure treated lumber used to have arsenic in it. I think they don't do that anymore but I'd be a little cautious about the rain run-off from the exterior of that wood. Sorry, I don't mean to be critical, I love the idea, but I would check into what the wood is treated with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Yes, great idea. The treated lumber worries me though. Pressure treated lumber used to have arsenic in it. I think they don't do that anymore but I'd be a little cautious about the rain run-off from the exterior of that wood. Sorry, I don't mean to be critical, I love the idea, but I would check into what the wood is treated with.
Not at all.
The lumber is treated with a copper derivative. Copper is found in fresh water and salt in trace amounts. It is used as a medication to treat Ich and other diseases. I also use copper in my fountain and the outlet pipe of this filter.
Keep in mind that copper pipe is used in plumbing in homes. Now mostly in supply lines to hot water tanks, because the heat does not cause it to corrode. In the 80's we used it to plumb entire houses with copper. But their are cheaper products available now.
My entire pond is made from treated lumber. The water sits in a liner but their is still plenty of lumber that could still potentially bleed chemical in the water.
I do about a 25% water change once a week which I am sure would help with any build up. All I can say is that I have had the pond for over a year now. I have never had fish or plants do anything but thrive in it.
In the end I think that is the key. Watch your fish their behavior will clue you in if something is wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Never seen anything like that and what a great idea!
My father was a general contractor. I learned to drive a nail into wood before I learned to ride a bike. That is why most of my grand schemes come in the form of wood.;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My father was a general contractor. I learned to drive a nail into wood before I learned to ride a bike. That is why most of my grand schemes come in the form of wood.;)

That's funny Panzer as my hubby worked as a sheet metal man for many yrs and all my stuff gets made out of stainless steel!

My water fall below:
IMG_4081.JPG

IMG_4091.JPG

IMG_5389.JPG

IMG_8283.JPG

Waterfall.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Most Homeowners really can’t get cca treated lumber anymore, all the big box lumber yards don’t carry it anymore. 2x lumber isn’t even treated with a cca treatment anymore been outlawed. Contractors can still get 3x and up from certain lumber suppliers.

Personally I doubt you are going to have much bleeding or issues with your pond from wood treatment chemicals. I have CCA treated posts in my pond water holding the bridge up, w/o issue, been like that for 9 years now. Plenty of invertebrates in the pond which would be most sensitive to the copper/arsenic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Most Homeowners really can’t get cca treated lumber anymore, all the big box lumber yards don’t carry it anymore. 2x lumber isn’t even treated with a cca treatment anymore been outlawed. Contractors can still get 3x and up from certain lumber suppliers.

Personally I doubt you are going to have much bleeding or issues with your pond from wood treatment chemicals. I have CCA treated posts in my pond water holding the bridge up, w/o issue, been like that for 9 years now. Plenty of invertebrates in the pond which would be most sensitive to the copper/arsenic.
Agreed, my trap door snails are doing fine as well. Although I have one that just goes in a circle about the size of a small plate. His little area is immaculate. Just goes to show that even among snails you still get "that guy".:banghead:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
That's funny Panzer as my hubby worked as a sheet metal man for many yrs and all my stuff gets made out of stainless steel!

My water fall below:
View attachment 109774

View attachment 109775
View attachment 109776

View attachment 109778

View attachment 109777
Well that is handy. Relatively light weight thin and strong. It is hard to beat steal.
We have a tendency to stick with the medium we are most familiar with. Just like an artist that likes to paint with certain brushes.
That water fall outlet is very nicely done. You probably would have paid a pretty penny for it if it wasn't for your talented hubby.(y)

Ask a Question