Nick83

Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Reaction score
Weeki Wachee Florida, Home of the mermaids
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Hello, a couple of months ago I decided to embark on a project for my wife which she has been wanting for years now and I have been putting it off. Well, one day I grabbed my measuring tools and a circular saw. The first cut into my raised front porch deck was the hardest because I knew that there was no turning back. I continued to cut a 3.5ft by 7ft opening and that was the easy part.

Now, I had a big rectangle cut out from my deck the began shoveling out dirt to get the the depth I was aiming for which is about 35inches to the top of the deck. Once I have shoveled out the dirt/sand I was ready to create an insulation and support wall on all four sides and prepare for the lining. Its not a professionally made structure but dang near close.

After I had the construction out of the way I planned how I needed to lay down the liner(which was probably the most frustrating part). Then it was onto securing it to a border trim. Once I was happy with that, let the water filling commence. I'm on a well so I get my water directly from the freshwater water springs that run under my property so I knew I was getting clean water not heavily chlorinated water.

Getting filtration going took longer than I had hoped so I added an air stone to get the water moving and breathing. I transplanted some hornwort plants from the pond in my yard because there was an over abundance anyway. After a few weeks I began adding some goldfish snails and tadpoles.

So that's my story of the start of my pond. Please feel free to chime in as I will use this thread for updates and picture/videos to come!

Attachments

• IMAG1457.jpg
    IMAG1457.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 407
  • IMAG1656.jpg
    IMAG1656.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 391
  • IMAG1723.jpg
    IMAG1723.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 388

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Great project, @Nick83. I like it! Can you detail how you created the support walls. Are they sunk into the ground? What size lumber, etc? Thanks.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
@MoonShadows For the support braces I screwed underneath the deck a 2x4 laid flat trim to screw in treated pine vertical so they were flush with the cut out deck. I used 4 vertical 2x4s at each end and did the same with the sides but used 6 planks. Since I dug out about a 12-16" I used most of that sand for support at the bottom. Once the framing was in place I tacked up some weather proofing. Then after that I used treated 1/2" plywood to box it in with more decking screws(countersunk). I left the bottom bare with sand so I was able to build up the bottom edges.
In hindsight I wish I would have dug out a place for a prefilter and pump rather than having the prefilter above the pond floor. Somewhere down the road I plan on adding a trap door on the deck and box in a place for my canister filter, aerator and such to keep them safe under the deck from the element's while keeping the deck aesthetically pleasing without all the visible plumbing.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
You're welcome @MoonShadows . I certainly will post updates and more pictures as the pond evolves. I went to my local water garden supplier and picked out some plants that I'm going to pick up tomorrow. They have a a really big selection so it took some time to pick something out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Can't wait to see more, it's gonna be awesome!
smileysmile.gif

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Thank you @Gemma. I picked up my Lillie's this morning I ended up getting a Cororado and a Rhonda keys. The Rhonda has little extra sprouts so I was very happy to get a little extra from that plant.

Pictures soon to come!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You will have many hours of enjoyment from your new pond. Pretty bloom on that new lily w/many more to come :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful lily! Love the tropical colors. Great looking deck pond

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Thank you @addy1. I really appreciate that! My wife wants to stain the boarder with a natural paint/stain called Unicorn Spit. I think that will definitely give it a nice tropical look rather than bare wood.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
This evening I pulled up my prefilter and it was full of gunk so I rinsed it off then opened my canister and the first 3 layers were also full of gunk. I rinsed those off with well water so I didnt kill off any beneficial bacteria.

Ask a Question