Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1583871722000.gif
@Leonard Carpenter
I see it has been awhile since you joined but looks like you just started posting a bit ago.
How large is your pond? I didn't see where you posted it in your showcase. Looks pretty big.
Very nice set up and beautiful pond and fish!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
View attachment 126732@Leonard Carpenter
I see it has been awhile since you joined but looks like you just started posting a bit ago.
How large is your pond? I didn't see where you posted it in your showcase. Looks pretty big.
Very nice set up and beautiful pond and fish!
Thank you... yes, I joined a while ago and did not really get around to posting anything until now, which is odd actually because I just love to show it off... its is not huge about under 3000 gallons..
E0F9FD4A-C074-4FD9-85C7-226C76EABE9B.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well you do really have something to show off as it is very nice! Looks bigger than that but then maybe it is not real deep in some area's which makes the surface area look big. I would have thought that you had too many fish in that size of pond but w/that super duper filter system you have going it looks like it is working great! Nice clear water and lots of luscious looking plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
Yes, thx again... yes it is shallow at 26 inches at its deepest.. I do know that many of the koi keepers will suggest to go much deeper for koi.. The way the filter system is designed with use of bottom drains I found that this depth was the best to maintain downward water flow from bottom of pond to the filter system which is absolutely huge like you said. Water is used from the pond to water the garden almost daily and a float valve is incorporated at the filter system to top off water at instant of any water loss.. it gets changed steady actually.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Chunky little fish you got there obviously doing something right

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Chunky little fish you got there

Now now @GBBUDD ... no body shaming. haha!

Beautiful pond @Leonard Carpenter . And your set up sounds like it works great for you! Many ponds here in the Chicago IL area are built at only two feet deep. Many koi keepers will tell you koi will not thrive in ponds that shallow, but they do great. And obviously yours are too!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very pretty pond! And really nice fish! Glad you posted pics. Hope you add some more.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
Well you do really have something to show off as it is very nice! Looks bigger than that but then maybe it is not real deep in some area's which makes the surface area look big. I would have thought that you had too many fish in that size of pond but w/that super duper filter system you have going it looks like it is working great! Nice clear water and lots of luscious looking plants.
Chunky little fish you got there obviously doing something right
haha, yes they are.. they eat lots when the temperature permits... maybe a bit too plump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
Now now @GBBUDD ... no body shaming. haha!

Beautiful pond @Leonard Carpenter . And your set up sounds like it works great for you! Many ponds here in the Chicago IL area are built at only two feet deep. Many koi keepers will tell you koi will not thrive in ponds that shallow, but they do great. And obviously yours are too!
Thank you Lisak1... yes thats what I have heard too.. but they dont seem to be suffering too much. ‍♂️

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
I am in Winnipeg and really admire your commitment to your pond. Do you heat your pond all winter or do your fish have indoor quarters?

Reaction score
Country
United States
your pond looks great. and wow that is one nice filter system. can you share how the system works ?
thanks, KC

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
I am in Winnipeg and really admire your commitment to your pond. Do you heat your pond all winter or do your fish have indoor quarters?
Thank you very much... I shut down the pond at first frost and bring the fish and plants inside to the indoor pond for the winter (until middle of may) and then back outside they go.....

Ask a Question