My DIY pond start to finish

Camper Man

Pond Curator
Reaction score
I would look at the a Tetra OFX 4000 (rated at 274 watts, $230); or the Laguna Max-Flo Waterfall 4200 (running on an amazingly low 160 watts, $240). I got these prices from azponds.com, but they are also available from webbsonline and many other vendors.

You will be turning over your pond's water volume very quickly - more than once an hour at these flow rates. Some of the experts here can comment if that is a problem. I know that a very fast flow through any biofilter is not ideal...but it may not be a concern if you don't have a heavy fish load.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i would have to agree on the tetraponds i have three and all are trouble free, and have 3 year guarentees, the ofx line is their newest line and very efficient. thats the way id go if i needed a new pump. and hes correct, the water gas to have some hang time in the filter media,so the bacteria can do its thing

Reaction score
Thanks for the input on the pump, I like that wattage much better.
Its funny to hear that 1-2x turnover be labeled as "high" coming from my saltwater background where my tank is running at 40x. I think I will be fine as far as filtration goes, I dont plan on having a high bio-load and I should have some calmer spots and I do plan on having plenty of sand and rocks to create good hang out spots for beneficial bacteria.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
it is true koi like a current but its hard on plants.. lillies esspecially are fond of still water, they dont even like splashing. just something to consider.

Reaction score
Good news, my liner arrived today and I have managed to avoid rain so far. I should have the liner in place by Beer-thirty on Saturday (assuming there is no rainwater to pump out first). I still need to decide on what I am doing with my pump, whether I will try to set up some sort of skimmer overflow into a sump for the pump or whether I will just pipe straight to the pump input like in a closed loop system.

Reaction score
Well this weekend I spent more time making sure that the hole is exactly the way I want it and didnt install the liner yet. I also have to wait till I can get some help from one of my buddies (the liner weighs almost 200lbs). So I am thinking that Tomorrow will be the day. Sometime this week I will swing over to the rock place and see what a pallet of stone will cost me.

Reaction score
Hey guys, its been a while since I have posted, I have been running non-stop this whole summer so I have had to move alot slower on this pond than I would have liked. The good news is I am much closer to the end than the beginning. I have the liner in and filled with water. I have the back rock wall nearly complete. I just finished up my sump area last weekend and am currently working on my waterfall area. All I need is a little more work on the waterfall and then I can finish out the upper level garden area and start landscaping the front edge. I don't have any recent pictures handy right now, but will snap a few when I get home.
-Krys

Reaction score
592ff763.jpg

32b8e719.jpg

Reaction score
I used 2 inch PVC from the pump to the waterfall, there is a tee and about 3 feet of 2" PVC on each side. I actually used slits in the PVC because I like the way the water flowed out of the slits better vs. holes. The slits on the end are more towards the top side of the pipe because the water wants to come out more on the ends due to pressure.
Basically lots of trial and error, and I still want to tweak it a little more, I think I still have too much pressure and its reducing the total volume coming out of the falls.
-Krys

Ask a Question