My DIY pre-filter with pic's

Reaction score
I think someone suggest this on here already but posted pics to share it. I didn't have a pre-filter and it was driving me crazy with reduced flow every 2 days from plant debris.

I finally solved it with a super cheap, PVC pipe adapted to the pump with holes drilled in it. This cost $15 for PVC and connectors. PVC pipe is 1/2 inch, with cap and 3/4 inch treads connected to threaded 1" adaptor to the pump intake that had threads.

DSC02721.jpg

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sometimes the best fix is the least expensive. You just have to get away from depending on stores to fix everything.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
for $4.00 more Lowes carries these from TetraPond.. I remove the matala insert and inner fine slotted tube in outside pond but use it in the basement pond.(no leaves and large debris there)

Attachments

• SANY0732.JPG
    SANY0732.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 924
  • SANY0731.JPG
    SANY0731.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 825
Reaction score
No lowes in Canada. I've looked for something like that but can't find it. My LFS had Tetra pre-filter but it's really big (4" tall) and was $60 for some plastic with holes. I figured PVC would do the trick.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
for $4.00 more Lowes carries these from TetraPond.. I remove the matala insert and inner fine slotted tube in outside pond but use it in the basement pond.(no leaves and large debris there)

I got two of them for my tetra pumps. Your saying you only use the outside plastic cage? not the filter media or the iner fine slotted tube. I dont know what matala insert is.
Seems kind of a waste of money if only using the cage at $20 but if thats what you do I guess i will folow.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the media insert is matala... they need cleaning if you use the fine tube.. alot less often with just the matala.. .ive never had to clean it with just the outer case and it keeps any debris big enough to clog your pump from reaching it!! i do use the inserts in the basement pond, theres no larger debris to worry about. just removing the inner tube will help.

Ask a Question