My Female Sanke is losing color

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure if she is the only female in the pond, but for sure is the only fish getting pushed around by the males! She is really stressing out!
I found her in the skimmer box a couple of times, (I'm thinking she goes in there purposely to get away from the males) and her color used to be bright red, now is fading

I read that stress during spawning can cause color loss, but can the color be restored?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Or trade one of your males for a female. Reduces the number of chasers and increases the number of targets.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Or trade one of your males for a female. Reduces the number of chasers and increases the number of targets.
Oh no! I've always traded in the females so I don't have to worry about "babies"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good point. I remember reading somewhere that the ideal ratio was 2 males for each female.
I read that female require twice the space/gallons than a male, so in my particular case it wouldn't be a good idea to get more females....not to mention the having to find good homes for the babies

I bought some color enhance pellets, would that help?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I made DIY skimmer guard after I found one of mine in the skimmer a year ago, during spawning. As they get bigger, they can swim in, but can't turn around to swim out :(

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Right. Eric attributes the 'Koi Kichi' crowd for this piece of advice.They tend to get a little over-the-top..
In the very last line of his article he offers a somewhat more realistic approach

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
"A 13” Koi weights approximately 1 lb. Guess what a 26” Koi tips the scales at. Approximately 13lbs!" That's a pretty amazing fact right there! Wow!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
"A 13” Koi weights approximately 1 lb. Guess what a 26” Koi tips the scales at. Approximately 13lbs!" That's a pretty amazing fact right there! Wow!

Yeah I believe it. My one koi got very thick as he got longer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Right now I'm right at the "250gl x fish (12 fish in 3000gl)! If you take in consideration that most of the fish are babies from last year, and out of the 12 , two of them are shubunkins, could I add a few more 6-7" in size, for a year or two until the new pond is built?

Ask a Question