My Filter Pit and 55 gal Barrel Photos

Reaction score
Well, since I've had to take apart my barrel, I've decided to take some pics and show you the simple things I've done. Some have asked for photos of my barrel and here it is:

Here is my pit. I've built a wood frame for the top. It's about 7 feet long and 3.5 feet wide. I haven't yet finished all the landscaping around it:

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu310/lfreem2/CIMG2345.jpg

The pit is in three levels. The lowest is a rubber bucket with my sump pump. If it rains, the water goes down there and the pump kicks in therefore keeping my pump on the top level nice and dry. Also, when I clear out the barrel of muck, the water falls into my sump bucket and then just gets sucked up. The sump isn't in the bucket in this picture, as I've removed it to play with my bucket.

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu310/lfreem2/CIMG2347.jpg

Here is my sump. It's a Zoeller which I got on Ebay. All made in the USA and it's like a tank. It replaced a crappy Harbor Freight one that had a tethered float:

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu310/lfreem2/CIMG2355.jpg

Ok, here's the inside of the bucket. The low pipe here with the 90 degree turns is my inlet where the water comes in as it is an upflow filter:

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu310/lfreem2/CIMG2348.jpg

Next I built a little stand outta 1" pvc and 90 degree elbows to put my filter media on:

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu310/lfreem2/CIMG2349.jpg

Here's how it looks inside the barrel. It stands just above the intake pipe:

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu310/lfreem2/CIMG2350.jpg

Next, I bought one of those rectangular drop ceiling lighting grids at Lowe's. I cut it into a circle so that it would fit in the barrel:

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu310/lfreem2/CIMG2351.jpg

I then put this grid in the barrel on top of my stand so that the media stays flat:

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu310/lfreem2/CIMG2352.jpg

Now I have two matala mats that come in a rectangle. I cut them into a circle to fit the barrel. I bought the green and black one on Ebay. They were $27 w/ free shipping. A little pricey, but they last many years, so it's an investment:

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu310/lfreem2/CIMG2353.jpg

Here they are in the bucket on top of my stand and grid:

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu310/lfreem2/CIMG2354.jpg

The remainder of the space is filled by two bags of bacti-twist in a nylon bag. Sorry, no pic of this. Then there's the outgoing pipe that heads to the Sequence 750 pump. The bactitwist media just goes right under it:

That's it! Real simple. I hope it helps someone.

Reaction score
Re: My Fitler Pit and 55 gal Barrel Photos

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Question: What did you use to seal the PVC pipes entering the plastic barrel?

Reaction score

you mean the black goopy stuff? That's the PL Roofing Sealant where I just sprung a leak. I think I didn't use enough and was trying to keep it looking pretty. I've been told to really lather in there. If this doesn't end up solving the problem, I'm gonna strip it back and buy some marine silicone.

If you're referring to the purply looking stuff on the PVC joints--that's Oakey PVC primer. Then I used the Oakey glue.

Reaction score

koikeepr said:
If you're referring to the purply looking stuff on the PVC joints--that's Oakey PVC primer. Then I used the Oakey glue.

so the plumber primer and glue are used to join PVC. i've been under the impression that "Ponders" used P&L roofing cement for this. okay, so is it only used to seal the PVC to the 55 gal barrel(s); PVC to the Liner; skimmer to liner; etc?

also, in the one picture posted in this thread, all others being links, i notice a black upturned fitting. what is this for? this kinda brings up anothe question - would it be better to have the exit pipe at the top of the barrel split twice or even ten times? this would reduce channel of water flow through media, if this is a problem.

good design.

Reaction score

Hi Rosco.

Yes, the pvc is joined with primer and glue. You will find it in the pvc section. Definitely use gloves! LOL!

The PL or Marine sealant is used for the bukhead fittings going through the barrel, BD, etc.

The upturned pipe is my return of clean water that heads to my pump. The lower pipe with the 90 degree fittings is where my dirty pond water comes in from my retro BD and skimmer. I turn it up because it creates a bit of a vortex effect for me. You can have it either way--facing up or down. (Tho I'm pretty sure that if your barrel is in a non-gravity situation (meaning not below water line, you have to keep it turned down). And, yes, theoretically you could split it up the way you describe. There's many ways/variations on a barrel. You do what works for your situation.

My barrel is above the water line by a few inches, so it doesn't overflow. If you put your barrel completely below water line, you will need some kind of emergency drain line. I'd rather be safe than sorry and not have to face that, so the top 5 inches of the barrel are above water line.

Reaction score

yeah,
i'm wondering if i can pull off a filter pit with pump, 55 gal barrels, etc. it would be on the opposite side of my waterfall and probably kill an apple tree whose roots will be in the way. Hmmm . this is a decision i'll struggle with for a day or two.

i'll get pricing of a mechanical dirt digger if i do this. have you seen my post, "45mil HDPE...." on koiphen? i'm thinking my level is way too low for that site. did you see "majedeer" post of her pond? DUUUUUDE! she could easily charge admission.

Reaction score

If you can afford a digger, it's always a nice plus. In my case, I'm too cheap and the digger has always been my own bare hands. LOL! In a few years, I'd like to tear the pond apart and really make it much larger and deeper. In that case, I'll probably rent a digger.

Not sure you would want an apply tree near your pond anyway. The mess with the buds and the leaves is a pain. Plus, if it's close enough to your pond, the roots might even wander over and puncture your liner. So, do be careful of trees near a pond.

I'm sure at the end you'll have a pond worthy of charging admission, too. LOL!

Reaction score

koikeepr,
i've forgotten the size of your pond. what are the dimensions?
I got pricing for one day with a backhoe - $110 plus a flatbed to haul it.
Best shape of pond to reduce folds in this extremely inflexible HDPE - Robin and i talked about backfilling the two ingressions along the garden. i'm wondering if that backfilled dirt will support a 3' waterfall. the part sticking out is the rootball of the little ornamental tree so backfill seems to be the only option to straighten walls.
I'll also shave off the walls to make them more steep. it seems wrong to do this but it has been repeatedly suggested by pond guru's.
the filter pit - will it require cinderblock walls and floor? i don't think burying the 55gal barrels will be a good idea (i'll need access if leaks occur).
trees - yes, i'll not dig into roots and fear roots penetrating the liner in the future. some trees around here (elms) have roots that extend up to seven blocks.
thanks for all your help! my post on koiphen had limited response, albeit, trustworthy reponses.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score

You don't have to bury it. Place cinder blocks around it then get some decorative bricks for the exterior shell. I backfilled between them. I planted wirey vine on the exterior and today it is completley covered. If I ever need to service the drum, all I need to do is drain it, unscrew the 2" dump pipe then lift it out.

Attachments

• S_55 gal filter overflow.jpg
    S_55 gal filter overflow.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,044
  • T1_55 gal filter leveling.jpg
    T1_55 gal filter leveling.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,176
  • Decorative Blocks around the fall.jpg
    Decorative Blocks around the fall.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,076
Reaction score

i've got 4,000 gals. DrDave is right in that barrels don't have to be buried [and when i said buried i meant put into a pit so you have access to all the plumbing--you don't cover everything up with dirt after]. There are many ways to do this depending on your situation. In my case, my pond is in an open area, so I don't have the ability to do what doc dave has pictured above. Tho, I think his photos look great and are a possible for anyone that can use that layout. In terms of what you use as a base, it's really up to your situation. I have clay soil which is very firm, so I was able to just buy some concrete pads for my pump and barrel to sit on. Everything else is still the clay. Someday I may spread some concrete on the "walls," but for now everything is real simple.

It also all depends what you're trying to do with your pond in terms of filtration when it comes to gravity or not. I am a complete novice compared with the gurus on some of those other sites, so you should follow their suggestions. Many of those guys are professional pond builders and they have tons of knowledge. Plumbing often baffles me, and I like to double check with the pros. And that's inclusive of the docs here.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score

This waterfall cascades down 10' to the stream which connects my 2 ponds.

Reaction score

noob question.

I like to build a filter like this, and its construction seems easy. My question is, where do the pump go? is it submersed or external? is it before or after the filter? What keeps the pump from getting clogged up if it is before the filter?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a

most of us have are pump in the pond, and pump to the filter..
You want a pump that can move the solids to the filter

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score

I use the Beckett W1150 submersible pump. About once a year (during the string algae bloom) I have to pull it out and take a hose to it. It is quick an very easy to do.
Home Depot carries them and with the 2 year warrantee they will exchange them over the counter if you ever have a problem.
The smaller one which I used to use seemed to crap out just before the warrantee so I was getting free ones for about 10 years.
This new one has been in service for about 3 years.

Ask a Question