My fire pit project today

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well I finally got around to starting the redo of our fire pit, we just had a table/fire pit combo. It worked fine but I really wanted one out of stone. I designed it reusing the copper bowl with grate the table had and the cover it also had when not in use. We like using it as a table when not in use also, makes a nice wine holder :)

This was tough to make the pieces fit the existing table in the stone, there was a lot of cutting to make the reveal in the stone. I rock face the edge of all the top granite pieces. I bricked the base and have it ready for the stone work tomorrow. I should have it all done tomorrow.

The granite top is just sitting there, it is not in place yet. The stone below is not staying there, but that is the idea.

IMG_3434.JPG

Here is the top showing the reveal for the table top pieces

IMG_3431.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What did you use to plow out at the small radius side?
@Burd A hand held grinder with a 5" diamond blade. I made two cuts, one on the radius then a plunge cut on the end.

The other cuts I used my worm drive saw with a diamond blade and then hand held stone chisels for the rock facing the ends

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well I finally got around to starting the redo of our fire pit, we just had a table/fire pit combo. It worked fine but I really wanted one out of stone. I designed it reusing the copper bowl with grate the table had and the cover it also had when not in use. We like using it as a table when not in use also, makes a nice wine holder :)

This was tough to make the pieces fit the existing table in the stone, there was a lot of cutting to make the reveal in the stone. I rock face the edge of all the top granite pieces. I bricked the base and have it ready for the stone work tomorrow. I should have it all done tomorrow.

The granite top is just sitting there, it is not in place yet. The stone below is not staying there, but that is the idea.

View attachment 109700
New
Sweet Nice job!!!! a hell of a lot better than the one's I see at the outdoor stores . they sell standard concrete pavers with a small metal ring have a couple good fires in them and they won't last long. what did you use on the walls fire mortar? where in the world did you get that medallion

View attachment 109702

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

View attachment 109700

View attachment 109702
Have you seen the newest counter top material they are selling it's only like a 1/2 thick it's man made but it is fired at like 5,000 degrees and is guaranteed to be unaffected by heat or flames I was thinking of using it to make a fire box. But it shure isn't cheap but then again your raw materials sure weren't free. are you going to grout your top.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
what did you use on the walls fire mortar? where in the world did you get that medallion
@GBBUDD I did not use fireclay, there was no need because of the copper pan design that sits at the top (not in my pictures) the heat is really at the top not in the pit. The medallion was part of my original fire pit table that we where using.

Yes am grouting the top, they are just sitting loose up there now in the pictures.

I do use a masonry material that 1" equals 4" of masonry heat transfer when I built fireplaces in the smoke chamber area. I do use fire clay in the fireboxes also, required by code.

Here is a picture of the table when we first bought it. You can see how the fire sits up high and shallow in the copper bowl. We use ours just for atmosphere not for any major heat. That medallion piece fits right in the middle making it a full table. We wanted the same design when the fire pit is not in use.

IMG_3271.JPG

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Nice look, I put in something similar to that a few years back with a circular paver patio coming out from it 7-8’ around.

Ask a Question