MY FIRST [almost] POND DISASTER

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, today I had my first, and hopefully last, empty pond experience! It's been VERY windy. The wind was enough to disconnect the tubing that goes into my filter. I happened to look outside and saw water gushing. I have the pump elevated a couple of feet from the bottom of the pond, so there was still some water, but the pump was just beginning to suck air.

Anyway, got it taken care of, and don't think I've lost any fish. But sure glad for having that pump where it was. For now, just going to by-pass the SKIPPY until I can come up with a more secure fitting.

Whew!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow scarey and know been there and glad you caught it before your pump burned out

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad you looked outside and caught it in time TM and I hate when something like that happens, my blood pressure goes through the roof
xmassmiley21.gif

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Bet ya looked out the window ... saw it ... "hmm, that shouldn't be should be doing that, oh crap!" ... :razz:

Heh, wind is annoying. I have a few "pond-less" water features in the front, holds around 50 gallons in the container, and the wind actually blew the water out as the water was being pumped through the fountain. Heh, didn't think of that happening. Now I have a kind of a flow through on them if it might be a windy day.

Reaction score
Oh shit... instant heart failure! So glad you caught it before losing the pump too... Every time we have a lot of wind (including today), we worry about our so called bog cuz the liner is BARELY secured with rocks (if it had been completed as a bog, it would be filled with gravel and would only need basic rocks to hide the liner).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My fish bounced back fast and it happened during the 2010 blizzard and only a foot of water left but they came out of it fine ,they are tougher than you think and better that it happens during cooler weather than really hot weather as they are resting more .But sure does scare you and make you think .

Ask a Question