My first fish pond

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Dear "Garden Pond Forum"-Member

I plan to start building my very first fish pond. Before I start building though, I want to have everything planned and cleared out so that I won't be surprised at any point. I guess the best way to do this is to ask people who have some experience with building fish ponds.

First I will describe how I want my pond to be:
- I want to keep 2 koi and a handful of smaller (gold)fish
- It shouldn't be too large. But of course not too small either since I want the fish to be healthy ánd happy.
- It can't have a waterfall (neighbours won't like it)
- I have 2 cats, so there should be something that protects the fish from cats.
=> I was thinking about sharp stones around the pond, water lilies, and a deep pond so that the fish can hide?

Given this information, is it possible to give me some detailed information, maybe a step-by-step guide on how to start building such a pond?

A few questions that I want to have answered surely:
- What are the perfect measurements for a pond for 2 koi and 5 goldfish?
=> Length, Width, Depth, Shades, Form, ...
- What kind of pump should I use for this pond? I've read that there are different pumps depending on the pond size.
=> Also, if the type of pump is explained, do you have an example of a good pump?
- Does anyone have experience with fish ponds in combination with cats? Are there things that can prevent cats from going to the pond?
- If I can't have a waterfall, what should I do to keep the pond water circulation optimized. Will a pump be good for this, or do I need something extra?

Thanks already for reading this post until the end. :)

Thanks in advance,
Wooptido

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

What size are you thinking of? To keep koi it needs to be a decent size. And koi tend to destroy plants, not to compatible with lilies unless you protect the lilies from them.

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hey addy1

Thanks for the tip about the water lilies! If this is the case, I don't think it's a good idea to keep Koi. I wanted to keep some water lilies and some plants, so that the fish have some cover against predators.

For the size of the pond, I was thinking about something like this:
- Width: 2m.
- Length: 2.5m - 3.5m
- Depth: Different shades of depth, but I don't know what kind of depths fish tend to enjoy the most.
=> I'm from Belgium. Winters can be cold (freezing cold), so that should be kept in mind.

This size of pond probably isn't ideal to keep Koi either. So I guess I'll stick with smaller fish. I'm perfectly fine with that!

My biggest concern is about keeping the pond healthy. I have no idea what kind of materials I need for this. What kind of pump, filter, oxygen supply, ... All these things.

Thanks in advance,
Wooptido

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I would recommend doing some internet searches on pond building...watch some videos and startmaking a budget plan....what you can afford to spend. Thats a good start and good luck!

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I recommend starting off with a few goldfish until you learn everything about pond cycle and water chemistry. Also issues you will encounter like algae. When you feel comfortable get some koi :)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Also I have two cats. One doesn't care whats so ever, never showed interest but have seen him drink from it.

The other cat was so fascinated he spent the whole first night watching them and sticking his paw in. Now he never puts his paw in. When I go at night to feed the fish he always comes over sits beside me and just observes. No intention of harming them. I can't say that for all cats though lol. Keep an eye out and see how it goes, might get lucky.

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely start with smaller fish, before I get my first Koi.

Before I start digging, I want to have a good concept, and I want to know if what I'm planning to do is the best to keep the pond healthy.

The idea that I have now, after doing a lot of research:
- A pond of 2m (width) x 3.5m (length) x 1.2m (depth)
- Pond liner to cover the base and the walls of the pond
- A bottom drain
- An all-in-one filter (this will be in an external area), like in this picture: http://www.sierrawatergardens.com/i/pump_diagram.JPG
=> I was thinking about this one: http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Supplies/In-Pond-Filters/Lifegard-All-In-One-Double

If I miss something in this setup, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks in advance,
Wooptido

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
After doing some extra research, I made a small list of everything I think I need to have in order to create a good-looking, healthy fish/koi pond. If this list seems incomplete or wrong to you guys, feel free to correct me!

- A rectangular looking pond, 2m width, 3.5m length, 1.2m deep (rectangular is just my preferred choice of shape)
- Pond liner to cover the walls + floor.
- A bottom drain: I should keep in mind that all the waste of the pond passes through this drain, meaning the bottom of the pond should lead towards 1 deepest area (where the bottom drain will be placed).
- The bottom drain should lead to an external filter system, which filters both mechenical and biological.
- Ideally, my pond should have an UltraViolet light. This is something I need to do some extra research for, because I don't know where to put this. Maybe it is included in some filters?
- The filtered water should be pumped back into the pond, using a pump with pipes that aren't too small.
- A skimmer should be installed, to clear waste floating on the upper side of the pond (leaves for example).
- To keep the water flowing, I should place 1 or 2 eductor jets 30 cm down the pond, aimed at the skimmer.

If someone wants to confirm this is everything I need to know before I start digging my pond, that would be great. If so, I'll probably start this weekend and I'll keep you guys updated! Looking really much forward to starting this project.

Also, tips for good bottom drains, filters, UV lights, pumps, pipes, ... will be appreciated! I never bought any of these products before, so I have absolutely no idea which products on the market are supposed to be good, and which aren't. :)

Thanks in advance and have a wonderful day,
Wooptido

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
- Ideally, my pond should have an UltraViolet light. This is something I need to do some extra research for, because I don't know where to put this. Maybe it is included in some filters?

Not necessary.
- To keep the water flowing, I should place 1 or 2 eductor jets 30 cm down the pond, aimed at the skimmer.

Not necessary. A properly sized pump will create all the water movement that you really need.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You don't really need a bottom drain. A lot of ponders just net debris off the bottom. I net the bottom of my pond maybe once every two years, don't get much muck.
Some just use a pond vac. But if you wish to put one in it is your choice.

The skimmer, put it on the down wind side of the pond, away from your water fall, or water return from your filters, water will be pushed towards it.

Most ponders use 2 inch pvc piping for their ponds. Some 3 inch some 1.5 inch totally depends on the person building it.
All of my lines are two inch.

I don't use a uv light, my water stays crystal clear, but I also filter with a lot of plants.

Laguna makes good efficient pumps. There are a lot of good ones out there, pay attention to electricity usage, running a pump 24/7 can add up.

Now if you are going for a koi pond, Koi need a lot of water, a lot of filtering to be happy fish.

Ask a Question