My First Illness

Reaction score
I am attaching a picture of my albino comet. He shares a little 100 gallon preformed with his girlfriend, 3 of their babies and a frog. He is swimming and eating just fine. Water parameters all look good. No new fish, other than their 3 month old babies. No new plants. A little water change as usual on Saturday, with the usual chemicals for chlorine. I checked real close and cannot see any kind of parasites. The scales in the red area are fluffed up a little. I did a peroxide treatment on him before putting him back in. the opposite picture is a little red area where 3 scales appear to be missing. I am open to suggestions. He is about 7-8" long and pleasantly plump. They have been in this pond since April by themselves.

Attachments

• Comet1.jpg
    Comet1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 325
  • Comet2.jpg
    Comet2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 355
  • Comet3.jpg
    Comet3.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 325
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would treat it as a ulcer. It looks like it just banged it self up.

Reaction score
Just a quick follow up. 2 days after treating with a Q-Tip and peroxide the sore was almost gone. I looked again last night and you cannot even tell it was there. The lesson to be learnt, treat promptly and follow up before it gets bad. Even in a clean pond there are a lot of oportunistic bugs waiting to pounce on a weak area of a fish. Thanks to everyone for all the posts on here. I have read years worth of posted information and it helped for me to be prepared to tackle this. Clove oil for calming the fish down works great!

Reaction score
The clove oil is a great sedative. In a big cooler, 3-4 gallons of water, mix 4 or 5 drops in real well with the water. Put in an aerator. The clove oil will sedate the fish so you can easily handle them. After medicating them, put them back in to the regular water with aeration or a pump flowing across their gills. They will very quickly resuscitate.

For another discussion later, clove oil is a great way to cull. An overdose of it in water essentially puts a Koi to sleep in 5 seconds or less. After a few minutes, move them to the freezer as a "make sure" end.

Ask a Question