My first lilly pad

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have 19 pads. This is my first pond, so it's really fun to see the leaves make their way to the surface. How many pads does each lily bulb usually make?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm up to 4. Is it possible that pads that ended the season still below water started re-growing and surfaced? The first 3 seem to be in that category and they are in pretty rough shape. A second lily just broke the surface last night with a still curled up pad.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've got a few popping up too and anxious to see how they do this year on blooms cuz they have been free of soil for a few yrs now. Just tied inside black plastic lattice type baskets on my pond shelves.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have 19 pads. This is my first pond, so it's really fun to see the leaves make their way to the surface. How many pads does each lily bulb usually make?

Haha! I'm imagining you out there counting "1, 2, 3..." - you first time pond owners are so funny! (Believe me... we were ALL YOU once!)

When @addy1 says "a lot" she means more than you will be able to count. You will have pads on top of pads on top of pads. I get in my pond about once every two weeks from June through the beginning of October to clean up the dead and dying pads and I pull out anything that even looks CLOSE to being done. I know there are three more coming to take it's place. I pull out several bushels full of lily pads every season - they all go right into my compost. I should actually keep track this year and see how much organic matter they produce!

Ask a Question