My first pond and first post!

Reaction score
Hello All!

I've been lurking here awhile and stealing great advice. Now I'm stepping out and want to share some information and photos of my pond build. The final product is around 4,000 gallons, 3.5' deep, and all done by hand. The whole thing cost only about $1,500! I apologize for the long post but hope it may help others their first time around. If you don't care about the details, just skip to the bottom to see the finished product!

I didn't get any "before" pictures but here is one from the second day of digging. It's good to have friends who will work for beer! The fence you see immediately behind the pond just separates two areas of my yard. On the other side I store a boat and trailer and I don't want to look at them. It also ended up serving a great function for this project as you'll see below.

Picture 001.jpg

Here you can see the waterfall weir (right corner) and skimmer (left corner) placement. It was a pain but I positioned the skimmer on the other side of the fence. I think this really turned out to be a great idea and worth all the trouble. It's easy to access and yet well hidden. There is also an outlet visible in this picture which was ultimately moved to the other side of the fence.

Picture 006.jpg

Here's the original "final" hole. The diameter and depth were about right, but it was short on shelves and I knew rock placement would be difficult.

Picture 007.jpg

I sat and looked at it for a couple days (and spent a bunch of time poking around these forums), then decided to bite the bullet and do some more digging. My son and his friend were a few of the many kids who "helped" from time to time. I used the long 2x4 as a level, which worked pretty well. I stacked a couple 2x4's in the skimmer inlet at my desired height then stretched the long one across the pond and found level. Once it was in place I used another 2x4 to level from the long one to the rest of the edges.

Picture 008.jpg Picture 009.jpg

Here the final final hole. It may be hard to see in the photo, but it has a shelf around the entire perimeter at about 18" that slopes steeply to a flat bottom.

Picture 012.jpg

Now it was time for some plumbing. This picture shows the Savio skimmer behind the fence. I was actually able to get this skimmer FOR FREE from a local landscape supply shop because the holes around the mounting surface where the faceplate attaches were all broken (I assume someone over-tightened the bolts). I simply drilled them through and used stainless bolts and nuts to attach the faceplate. I have an external pump so I just used 2" pipe, a 90, and a check valve in the skimmer. The check valve is necessary to keep the pump's prime.

Picture 013.jpg

I buried the flexible 2" pipe that runs from the skimmer to the pump. Here you can see it emerging at a 45 and connecting to the pump (from the right). You can also see the outlet now located on the backside of the fence. I added T's on either side of the pump for future use. They come in handy for priming, and I can use them in the future for a bottom drain and dump-out combination. Also pictured is a UV filter that ultimately outlets separately into the pond. The ball valve on the 2" pipe after the pump actually comes in handy to tweak the flow through the UV. My dad actually happened upon the UV filter and pump at a garage sale while I was digging and was able to score both for $100! The pump is 3500 GPH, which I believe is perfect for my pond, but the UV filter is undersized at 1000 gallons. Based on what I've read on these forums, I think it may still do the trick.

Picture 027.jpg

Next I installed the underlayment and liner (45 mil EPDM). I was really worried about under-estimating how much liner I needed, so I ended up buying way too much. I guess I'll either sell it on Craigslist or build another pond. This picture shows the first water going in. I filled it slowly and tried to work out the folds as it went up. As it turns out the weight of the water really does a great job of collapsing even the biggest folds. The first picture shows "Bailey" checking things out. The second picture shows the water level after it passed the shelf. I thought this would help keep the liner weighted down while placing the first rocks. I don't know if it really helped, but it did make it much more difficult to get around.

Picture 017.jpg Picture 018.jpg

The hard part is over, right? Wrong... Time for rocks! Here is a picture of the first load. It cost around $250, but turned out to be the only one I actually paid for. The next day I discovered a friend (who works for a developer) has access to unlimited free boulders! Some of these buggers are HUGE (300+ lbs) and it was back-breaking work, especially standing on the slippery liner.

Picture 019.jpg

We laid the rocks out on underlayment as I placed them in the pond. This made it easier to select and maneuver the right ones. My dad (who's 67 but an extremely hard worker) stood on the patio and handed down the rocks as I placed them. He also helped me carry the really big guys.

Picture 021.jpg

Based on what I've read here, I decided to leave the bottom rock-free and start them on the shelf. My reasons were; (1) it doesn't consume valuable space at the bottom, (2) it requires A LOT less rocks, (3) it will be easier to clean, and (4) and most importantly, it's much healthier for future fish. I just searched the forums for "rocks" and found great discussions about the pros and cons. The clencher for me was preventing hydrogen sulphide! In the bottom-left corner you can see a large stone that is the beginning of my idea to make this a swimming pond (it will ultimately become the top step).

Picture 022.jpg

I initially had a lot of trouble placing the boulders, and it wasn't just the weight. I just couldn't visualize how it would all turn out and I spent a lot of time rearranging. I really struggled with the first dozen or so, but eventually found my groove and the rest went much faster. Actually, to be honest, a friend came over one evening with a 12-pack and told me to stop futzing around. We worked late into the night and placed almost all of the rocks, including a huge step on the shelf that was well over 300 lbs.

Picture 024.jpg Picture 028.jpg

I spent the next couple days trimming liner and spraying black foam (four cans of "Rockin Foam") to secure the rocks. I also attached the skimmer and waterfall to the liner. Of course I couldn't resist putting some water through the falls! It flowing nicely and I think the steps also came together nicely.

Picture 030.jpg Picture 032.jpg

Before placing the last rocks around the top, I filled the pond to make sure they'd sit nicely in the water. Once full, it also became irresistible to my daughter and her friends. The weather has been beautiful here in North Idaho and they "had to" take a dip! In the second picture below you can see the outlet to the skimmer. I really like the way it just disappears under the fence.

Picture 035.jpg Picture 036.jpg

Next it was time to gravel around the edges and trim the liner one last time. The liner actually runs to the patio/fence/curbing and the gravel is in the water. This way I can add bog plants later by simply scooping out some rocks. We also placed and foamed the last rocks around the waterfall. It's really coming together now! Oh, and the kids just won't stay out.

Picture 039.jpg Picture 038.jpg

And finally, here are a few pics of the final product. I like how the entrance to the skimmer looks like a little creek. I finished off the waterfall with some plants, and a nice piece of slate for the spillway.

Picture 042.jpg Picture 043.jpg Picture 044.jpg

The water was pretty cloudy initially (you can only get gravel so clean) but after a couple days it has cleared up nicely. I'm on the fence about letting the kids continue to swim in it, especially once fish are introduced, but for now I'll let them enjoy it.

Next I need to figure out a suitable biological filter. I'm hoping to build it into the waterfall weir so I don't have to add other equipment, but the research continues! Thanks for taking the time to check out my pond!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow very nice! you have done well.

Welcome to our group what an introduction!

welcome670.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
snoopy-howdy-1.gif
JayDogg
Fabulous pond build and love the kids in the pond. You did go in too didn't ya? Thanks for sharing all your cool pix w/ us.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and those kidfish you have are cute ,but you may need a few more LOL

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum!
Great documentation, I think you will regret not having easy access all around the pond as time goes on and you have to do maintenance on it. I know I am constantly walking around mine and finding reasons to rech into the pond for something.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
with my slope i have one side that is hard to walk on, but my net reaches across the pond, can always take a dip too lol

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the nice words!

J.W. - I haven't been in the pond yet but I may take a dip tonight!

Sissy - I can't handle any more "kidfish". I only have two, but they have lots of friends, neighbors, and cousins. I like giving them a place to play but have a feeling it'll be mostly off-limits soon.

DrDave - I think the pictures must be deceiving. I can get around the entire pond pretty easily. All of the rocks are secure so I just walk across the ones along the fence.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
good planning jaydogg, secure rocks really help

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
But insecure ones make for great video when your wife is holding the camera :LOL:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
jaydog ice skating rink for them this winter so you better watch out .LOL

Ask a Question