My first pond build from start to (hopefully) finish

Reaction score
Okay guys and gals, this will be my thread on the construction of my pond. I think I have most of the design problems figured out and out of the way so now I just have to do it. Limited space is an issue so hopefully it wont come back to bite me later. Any questions, concerns, tips or opinions are welcomed! good or bad, I want this to turn out good.

Here is a picture from my deck showing what my backyard used to look like, just a square piece of grass basically.
STC_6768.jpg

STD_6769.jpg

Re-stained the fence, took out the old garbage bin, and brought in a sod cutter to pull out some grass.
IMG_7087.jpg

IMG_7088.jpg

Put in my underground electrical as well as a water line to the left hand side. Due to space concerns I figured I would build the waterfall out of cribbing, and then rock it in after so the waterfall is more vertical (as apposed to mounding a big pile of dirt).
IMG_70892.jpg

Let the digging begin!
IMG_7092.jpg

IMG_7141.jpg

IMG_7243.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
looks like its takin' shape!...now,get the darn thing finished!...your on here posting pics, when youve got a pond to finish!! now get out there young man, and i mean now!
seriously...well done.. its looking good!

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Looking great, but I agree with Koiguy.... get out there and get some work done!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great start. How many gallons and what dimensions is it going to be? Also and what type of fish are you planning? Thanks for posting your construction pics. I think those sort of pics are always helpful for anyone planning on building a new pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good. How hot/cold does it get there? Looks like you have some good depth in your pond.

Reaction score
Great start. How many gallons and what dimensions is it going to be? Also and what type of fish are you planning? Thanks for posting your construction pics. I think those sort of pics are always helpful for anyone planning on building a new pond.
The longest span is about 16 feet wide, from front to back the longest span right now is 8 feet but im going to pull out more grass in the front and make it alittle bigger. waterfall is 4 feet, and the sides will be 4 feet deep with 5 feet at the bottom drain. Was origionally just planning to put goldfish in there because I wanted plants, but now i'll put in a few koi, I should have the filtration set up and a bog on the edges to keep the plants safe. When all the rocks are in im thinking it should be around 3000 gal.

Looking good. How hot/cold does it get there? Looks like you have some good depth in your pond.
It gets to about 95 in the summer and -31 in the winter for short bursts. I wanted to go deep because I dont want to have to bring the fish inside every winter.

Reaction score
So Ive finally ordered all my equipment and im going to pick it up april 21 so I have some time to do some last minute digging and shaping. This is the stuff I got:

Atlantic ps4600 skimmer with a reeflo hybrid external pump, pumping to my bogs and tpr jets
Koi toilet I 4" Bottom drain gravity feeding a homemade mechanical filter (made from 30 4" filter brushes), which is then attached to another reeflo hybrid pump. This will then branch to feed a laguna 28 watt uv filter, then go to my savio livingponds bio waterfall filter.
I also bought a hakko 40 litre air pump to run the bottom drain, and a firestone 25' x 35' 45mil epdm liner and underlay.

So I have a week and a half to make the pond alittle bigger, dig trenches for the plumbing, and frame up the edging bogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Looks like it will be very nice when you are finished! Can't wait to see the end results, especially your waterfall! Wish mine could have been that tall! You live in Alberta? My husband is from Edmonton. Way to cold up there for me ;)

Reaction score
Pond update!

So a week ago it rained a few inches and I woke up to find about a foot of water in the "hole". I bailed out what I could but it is taking forever to dry. Yesterday I picked up all the pumps, filters, and bottom drain and today I dug the pond a little wider. Im only able to go about 2 feet down right now before the mud gets to sticky so It looks like I'll need to wait for it to dry. Today I managed to place the waterfall filter in the waterfall. Tomorrow I'll dig a hole for the skimmer and my other filter, and hopefully get some of the plumbing worked out while Im waiting.

I'll post some pictures in the morning.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
One step in front of the other gets the job done! You will get there and we will be watching. Hope it stays dry for ya!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh my god your dog looks like my Hunter who passed away 2 years ago he was a sable colored weimerweiner and I could not believe I was looking at him and seeing my Hunter.They are such cute dogs .My older son rescued him from one of those puppie mill horrors after they were shut down and when he bought his own house I could not give up my Hunter and since he was on thyroid meds and I was better at his care my son decided it was best he stay with me .I adored him .Sorry I ramble some of the times when it comes to pets .I do like the shape of your pond and at least you are giving yourself a good place to hide your filter .So you are thinking ahead ,Great job

Ask a Question